My next project, need some guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My next project, need some guidance

well, over the years I have collected (with the help of some friends) a great many beer caps.
    What I intend to do with them is make a large mural of a yet undetermined image and place them in the games/bar room.
    This is what I need to do - somehow scan/categorize the various caps and derive a 'colour' from them
    take a picture and seperate it into ONLY these colours.
    I will then project the new image on the wall and apply the caps in the opropriate positions ( all the while creating new caps ).

Has anyone done anything like this, and/or which software will be able to seperate colours into predetermined hues??
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

maybe you could create a custom palette for a .gif pic?

despite that: you could try some "image mosaic" software, using your scanned cap-pics as base images. the result could be used as a blueprint. perhaps.

mfg
    wulfman
    Last edited by Wulfman; 30 July 2004, 15:39.
    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
    "Lobsters?"
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

There's some stuff out there for doing lego murals. Do a search. I'm sure you'll find something that you can extend to your needs. Otherwise, you might be able to use an image editor to make a palette of your selected colours and then apply it to your image using a diffusion pattern or some such to approximate the original colours.

A Homer Simpson mural would be pretty sweet... Just an idea.

Good luck, and be sure to post some pictures.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

There's a Linux program (or GIMP plugin) for doing exactly that...

(rummages on net)

Well - try a google search for photo mosaic - that should point you in several (hundred) right directions.

- Steve

Comment

Photo mosaic, yeh, that's the ticket.
          I was really just trying to categorize the caps into a limited pallete as wulfman suggested, but the photo mosaic may work also.
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
          X