BMW product recall !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW product recall !!!

I get back from 2 weeks of wearing sandals (sans socks you'll be pleased to hear) in the Spanish sunshine, and I find Guchi's worst nightmare in my inbox:
    Attached Files
    FT.

LOL

Comment

Sorry, I didn't notice your absence
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
        Sorry, I didn't notice your absence
        That's strange, I thought about you every day
        FT.

Comment

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I wonder if BMW isn't develloping a turn-anticipator: the car would use the indicators by itself...

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

LOL ... sounds like Porsche drivers. Except not only do they feel that turn indicators are not needed, but they think the road shoulder is the Porsche only lane.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Re: BMW product recall !!!

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                I get back from 2 weeks of wearing sandals (sans socks you'll be pleased to hear) in the Spanish sunshine, and I find Guchi's worst nightmare in my inbox:

damn, now you've got those sandal tan lines in your feet.

I told to to wear socks, didn't I.
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

ahahha nice!

but there is a recall....about 1000 models ranging from 5 series 6 series 7 series ....V8s and V12.
                  There was a problem with the parts supplied by someone for the engine management or something.
                  The one series also got "recalled".. Well not really, its not being sold yet, but they are fixing all the last problems now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                    LOL ... sounds like Porsche drivers. Except not only do they feel that turn indicators are not needed, but they think the road shoulder is the Porsche only lane.

Jammrock
                    Strange, but, proportionally speaking, you see more Porsches and BMWs stationary in the breakdown lane on the German autobahns than any other make (ADAC says so in their breakdown statistics). The least liable for breakdown is the Toyota.

ADAC (the German touring club running the main breakdown service) explains this by owners of these makes just flogging the cars to death at excessive speeds. I believe BMW has been improving the reliability aspect over recent years. One weak point has been the engine computer which was mounted in a place where it was subjected to excessive heat. It is now placed where it can receive cooler air.

Comment

Mini is top.
                      Toyota only rides high in the middle class segment.
                      (ADAC Pannen Statistik)

Porsche got top in JD Power..

and yes, the engine management system sits above the cylinders now. Means faster management, increased performance/decreased emissions

Comment

What does the placement of a few microcontrollers have to do with increased performance and decreased emissions, Guchi? They could reside in the trunk or on the license plate and those things still would not change.

AZ
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

It's cos his pistons move at the speed of light, making propogation delays in the leads significant
                          FT.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                            What does the placement of a few microcontrollers have to do with increased performance and decreased emissions, Guchi? They could reside in the trunk or on the license plate and those things still would not change.

AZ
                            Not so! Firstly, they used to be placed on the rear bulkhead where they tended to overheat (1.5 mm mild steel does not make a good heat sink ). This reduced the performance, sometimes to zero

I agree that the reduced emissions are because of improved firmware, not because of the position.

The microprocessors used in engine computers are actually quite primitive and slow, but they have a host of input parameters, so they run at just about the max of their capabilities.

However, infinitely better than having a Pentium 4 under Windows, which would not only be overkill, it would not be reliable

Comment

Originally posted by az

AZ
                              not to sure myself actually.
                              That's what it said in AM&S anyway...

the only way i could see it benefit in anyway is the reduced resistivity through the wire that connects engine management to the control units.

or maybe the units are affected by heat? but then again particles with temperature travel upwards, because they are less dense than cold particles....so...yeahhh Good question!!

Comment

Working...
                              X