No announcement yet.

Sony's $700 Linux-based Remote Control!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony's $700 Linux-based Remote Control!

Controls 18 components for even the most sophisticated entertainment systems
    Color LCD Screen — 65536 colors and backlit "hard buttons"
    33 Macro functions allow for 32 consecutive operations
    Compatible with Sony and most major brands of electronics even including lights and air conditioners
    Fully customizable — import color mages to personalize each screen and create "skins"

CPU: i.MX1 Application Processor 200 MHz

Memory: 32MB Flash RAM Capacity

Display: 3.5" LCD, 65536 Color TFT LCD with backlight

Dimensions: 4" x 6 1/2" x 2" (120 x 174 x 38 mm)

Weight: Approx 12oz (including batteries)

Operating Distance: Approx 10 meters

Input/Outputs: USB Connection (B Type) Jack, Memory Stick® Media Slot

Software: GUI Edit Software CD-ROM

Power Requirements: Supplied AC power adaptor: DC 4.5V (dedicated connector). Built in, rechargeable and non-removable Ni-MH batteries.

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

For $700 it's way WAY overpriced.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I thought Linux was supposed to make devices cheaper?
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

cool, but does it play any games

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
          I thought Linux was supposed to make devices cheaper?
          It would be $750 if it ran WinCE.

- Steve

Comment

It should also play PSP games for that price.

Comment

It does look like a Philips Pronto competitor...

They started this with a monochrome model years ago... And theirs can play games (was an easter egg in the earlier versions, should be standard by now).
              The top models are close to $700, but the lower end models are cheaper.

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

700$ for a stupid remote?

Who in their right mind would let themselves be ripped off with such a high priced useless gadget?

Why not just BURN money instead!
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                  700$ for a stupid remote?

Who in their right mind would let themselves be ripped off with such a high priced useless gadget?

Why not just BURN money instead!
                  If you already own a $20,000+ Home Theater System, it makes sense. Not only can it control your system, but it can control all of your lights, screens, fans, doors, or whatever you can think of that can use a remote. Not only that, but you can create macros to do combos of such things. For instance, you pause the movie so you can use the bathroom. This also turns on the hall light and the kitchen light so you can use the bathroom while someone else gets some more popcorn. Anyway, I think you get the idea. Suddenly $700 doesn't sound too bad.

One more thing, you can totally customize the graphics, buttons, etc...Basically you can build the software from scratch. Of course, this is what the Pronto can do, not sure about the Sony.

Dave
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Well, the people who buy 1000$ audio cables perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                      If you already own a $20,000+ Home Theater System, it makes sense. Not only can it control your system, but it can control all of your lights, screens, fans, doors, or whatever you can think of that can use a remote. Not only that, but you can create macros to do combos of such things. For instance, you pause the movie so you can use the bathroom. This also turns on the hall light and the kitchen light so you can use the bathroom while someone else gets some more popcorn. Anyway, I think you get the idea. Suddenly $700 doesn't sound too bad.

One more thing, you can totally customize the graphics, buttons, etc...Basically you can build the software from scratch. Of course, this is what the Pronto can do, not sure about the Sony.

Dave
                      Well, perhaps those people, but still, it's expensive. IMO

Comment

Not a bad price when put into prospective. One of the things I use to take care of were AMX automated controls into high end professional A/V systems used in R&D centers, conference rooms/executive board rooms, universities and hospitals. Same concept for a heck of alot more.
                        Last edited by Greebe; 28 July 2004, 09:10.
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                          Not a bad price when put into prospective. One of the things I use to take care of were AMX automated controls into high end professional A/V systems used in R&D centers, conference rooms/executive board rooms, universities and hospitals. Same concept for a heck of alot more.
                          OK, ok enough, I'm convinced already, jeez!!

Comment

"The key to the implementation's success has been the uniformity of AMX control system design," states Aubrey Bowman, Videoconference Project Manager for Wake Forest University.
                            Heh... I know this guy, worked next to him and trained me on AMX while working for Long Communications Group. He was our ace AMX designer/programmer

The two of us visited their headquarters in Richardson TX while setting up a system. Even dropped a dime and bought us lunch while there, great bunch of guys
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by spadnos
                              It would be $750 if it ran WinCE.

- Steve
                              Don't forget how often it would crash, and how much of a pain in the ass it is to develop for Wince.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X