Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between Parhelia PCI and AGP ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between Parhelia PCI and AGP ?

Has there ever been any head to head tests between Parhelia AGP and PCI ?

I was just wondering if they are equal when it comes to Surround Gaming - and what the speed difference between the 2 cards is.

Soren
    My Home is my Theater
    My Theater is my Home

if you're talking about 33MHz PCI slots compared with AGP8x, there is no way the same card in one can equal the other. I know G4xx/550 PCI cards are totally crippled in performance compared with the same card in an AGP slot.
    Matrox G4x0 32mb SG RAM DVI

Comment

Their main utility is for extended multi-monitor support.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

So using the PCI version for Surround Gaming in FS2004 would give terrible results ?
        My Home is my Theater
        My Theater is my Home

Comment

Originally posted by G400SG16mb
          if you're talking about 33MHz PCI slots compared with AGP8x, there is no way the same card in one can equal the other. I know G4xx/550 PCI cards are totally crippled in performance compared with the same card in an AGP slot.
          Can you back that up?
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I read that some creative mobo makers are giving AGP slots on PCIe mobos.

However those AGP slots are run from southbridge and force cards to run in PCI mode.

The performance delta is about 20% compared to same cards run in AGP mode in real AGP slots.

Parhelia PCI is PCI 64-bit/66Mhz card which allows for up to 533MB/s bandwidth, which is comparable to AGP 2x (regular 33/32 PCI is 133MB/s).

So the performance hit should not be as hard if you run it in 64-bit 66MHz PCI or PCI-X slot.

The only problem is that 64/66 or PCI-X slots are scarce on desktop motherboards. You'll need a workstation/server motherboard, which is more expensive.

PCI-X = PCI-X
            PCIe = PCI Express and is not PCI-X

Comment

Wombat - last I checked the G4xx PCI card did have the busmastering problem when used with non-intel chipsets. I don't remember the details, but I know that it decimated performance...
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                Wombat - last I checked the G4xx PCI card did have the busmastering problem when used with non-intel chipsets. I don't remember the details, but I know that it decimated performance...
                That's another way of saying V I A
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yes, but [M] drivers disable bus mastering for AMD and SiS chipsets as well.

Comment

I think the PCI parhelia is a 66mhz 32bit pci card...eg 266MB/s

Comment

Yes, but does anyone know how that would affect the framerate in Flight Simulator 2004 compared to the AGP version ?
                      My Home is my Theater
                      My Theater is my Home

Comment

Is there really a G550 PCI? I thought the only PCI G-series cards were G100/200 and G450.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                          Yes, but [M] drivers disable bus mastering for AMD and SiS chipsets as well.
                          does G4xx bus mastering also fail on Nvidia chipsets?
                          Matrox G4x0 32mb SG RAM DVI

Comment

I thought it was disabled for *all* non-intel chipsets.
                            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by runderwo
                              Is there really a G550 PCI? I thought the only PCI G-series cards were G100/200 and G450.
                              Yeah, they recently anounced new low profile PCI cards:
                              G550, P650 and QID.

Comment

Working...
                              X