Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual layer DVD burners

Hi all,

I've been wanting to move up to a dual layer DVD burner. A local Best Buy has a Sony 8X on sale for $150. Will burn -R and +R and single layer DVDs as well. Wanted to tap into the expertise here before buying it. Also, how expensive are the dual layer blank discs (not sure I've seen any of those around)? Anything else to consider?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jon

Dual layer burners burn DL media at 2.4x, which translates to ~45 minutes.

Media is still scarce and expensive.

By the time it comes down, faster DL burners should be out.

On the other hand 2.4DL burner is great single layer burner now and price difference is minimal.

As for Sony, AFAIK they mainly rebadge Liteons.

Comment

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. The lite-on looks like a better deal. Does anyone know how much the media for these cost? Also, are they any less compatible than the 4.7 G -R discs I'm currently burning? Have had great luck with compatability across a wide range of DVD players using different disc brands.

Thanks.

Jon

Comment

As long as your player suppors dual layer (most all new ones do) and which ever format the disk uses (-R/+R etc.) then it should work.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Be careful, most released DVD DL burners only support the + R format in DL mode.
            The +R format has caused set top player compatibility issues in the past and I don't think this has been rectified.

I myself am waiting for Dual Layer Burners that support -R format, does anyone know if anything has been released as of yet?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
              Be careful, most released DVD DL burners only support the + R format in DL mode.
              The +R format has caused set top player compatibility issues in the past and I don't think this has been rectified.

I myself am waiting for Dual Layer Burners that support -R format, does anyone know if anything has been released as of yet?

Thanks,
              Pioneer
              Lawrence

Comment

Excellent, thanks Lawrence!

Comment

Working...
                X