Matrox G400 OVERVOLT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox G400 OVERVOLT?

Is any article on web about Overvolt of a G400? Have you ever heard about it?
    I'd like to see how power we could take from a old G400 on modern PCs... so I need a little tut.

Thank you and sorry for bad English
    My System: CPU: AMD XP 1700+ @ 2800+ 1.75 V | Epox 8RDA3+ | 512 MB DDR 333 MHz | Gainward Ti 4800 se | LG 4082 B| HDD Western digital 80 GB. | Screen Sony 19" 2048 * 1536 @ 85 Hz. http://utenti.lycos.it/waterblockpc

Why would you need to overvolt a G400?

Planning to overclock it?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Sure

I've got 2 G400s and I'd like to see how far she could go... in 3D Mark... i can't go over 170/228 !!! Damn. . . I've found the transistor of voltages but no site in english only kanji explain the pins of the component.
      Please help me.

Bye
      Last edited by Alby3D[ITA]; 23 July 2004, 02:58.
      My System: CPU: AMD XP 1700+ @ 2800+ 1.75 V | Epox 8RDA3+ | 512 MB DDR 333 MHz | Gainward Ti 4800 se | LG 4082 B| HDD Western digital 80 GB. | Screen Sony 19" 2048 * 1536 @ 85 Hz. http://utenti.lycos.it/waterblockpc

Comment

then you want to overclock it, not overvolt it
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

ie there is no overvolt mods (HW info is not available) only thing you can do is OC

Comment

I'm not so sure ... if I would go over my record I need more volts to avoid instability... anyway I've got the name of the Transistor so early I could understand Its functions.

Comment

I too could reverse engineer part of it, but how do you know what goes to what specifically? Matrox never published the G400 technical papers.

Comment

You're right but listen here:
                You know I've never seen a voltage regolator for Creative GeForce DDR (I've seen about Hercules, ABIT, ASUS & Gainward) but with the scheme of a Creative GTS Vmod I could overvolt my GeForce DDR. I know I risked because they aren't the same card and nor the same voltage regoulator but I've got IT: Overvolt.
                It is because some parts is very standard in vga... I think I can do it with a little bit of fortune.

I hope you understand...
                My English is verrry BAD sorry.
                Last edited by Alby3D[ITA]; 23 July 2004, 05:38.

Comment

Well depending on the type of voltage regulator used, it might have a Vsense feedack resistor divider that sets the voltage. Changing the value of that would change the output voltage.

What is the component manufacturer and part for the regulator?

Comment

maybe later I'll post a photo of the board anyway the TRANSISTOR is named

SC

Ez1582CM
                    Ag18638

And it is a standard transistor with 5 pins. It is positioned in top right corner of the board.

The board is G+4MILA 32 OEM not the dualHead version.

Thanks and bye
                    Last edited by Alby3D[ITA]; 23 July 2004, 06:27.

Comment

Well its an 2.5v output Low Dropout Regulator made by SemTech. The part comes in both fixed output and adjustable. If pin 2 is connected to ground, then its fixed output and you can't do anything without getting really creative and lifting the sense pin to drop the voltage there. If Pin 2 goes to a resistor divider between pin 3 output and ground then you can tweak the output voltage. Now I'm not sure if that regulator supplies power for both the memory and the gpu core or just one of them, but from the part spec its going to get hot.

Comment

Thanks a lot. I know that this board is quite hot even in normal application. By the way this september i'm going to switch my mill on and made a copper waterblock for SGRAM, GPU and I cool the transistor either. After that I try to mod the board voltages and If everithing is allright I'll publish the result.

Comment

*yawn*

this might have been cool 5 years ago...
                          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

This is not my pc is only the HOBBY PC and in any case 5 years ago I hadn't the G400... nor I had the knowleadge in electronics.

Now I just want to demonstrate that the G400 isn't worse than other board from 1999 on more power PCs.

By the way with the serial:

G4+MILA 32 OEM Matrox 891 - 041 Rev : A copyr 1999

Rev 4.02 MT05580

can I install the VGA on a AGP 8X Board and enable the 4X aperture?
                            Last edited by Alby3D[ITA]; 23 July 2004, 14:04.

Comment

we know that the G400 was not worse than any of the GFX times at the time... it was probably Matrox's last *good* video card...

and no, the card is not an AGP4x compliant card, so it will not work with a 4x aperture... kinda pointless to do so, also...
                              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                              X