PDA

View Full Version : Which OS are you using

The PIT
22nd July 2004, 10:35
Subject says it all

Jammrock
22nd July 2004, 10:43
You forgot Windows Server 2003. Want me to add it?

Jammrock

The PIT
22nd July 2004, 10:47
Can only fit ten in so I would have upset either the Linux or the Mac crowd.

Sasq
22nd July 2004, 10:58
The mac users is me

Jammrock
22nd July 2004, 10:59
Added Windows Server 2003 and "WinS2k3 - p1mped to run as desktop OS"

The PIT
22nd July 2004, 11:07
Msdos 3 :D :D

Don't forget the ZX.

J1NG
22nd July 2004, 11:27
D'oh! Forgot to put linux down in my vote too! :o

XP, 2K and Win98 for me. (Besides linux).

J1NG

Now I wonder what happened to linspire... *runs and hides* :D

Mikko
22nd July 2004, 11:28
2x WinXP (one for Parhelia DX8.1 drivers and one for DX9beta drivers) :)
and Linux (Mandrake 9.2)

Paddy
22nd July 2004, 12:07
:D Tha't a poll worthey of the great Zokes!

KeiFront
22nd July 2004, 13:40
Oops missed the mac option (it should have been OS X). So add one vote to the mac.

ZokesPro
22nd July 2004, 13:48
Originally posted by Sasq
The mac users is me Oh yeah? Well I'm the only "some BSD flavour" so there! :p

HedsSpaz
22nd July 2004, 14:02
XP Pro on my two primary boxes at home and on my laptop at work. Fedora core 2 on my tertiary box at home and my workstation at work.

GNEP
22nd July 2004, 14:19
Originally posted by ZokesPro
Oh yeah? Well I'm the only "some BSD flavour" so there! :p Shirley bsdgeeky boy? :p

WinXP pro x2 plus win2k SP2 if you count work (actually you can add an instance or 3 of NT as well if you count work...)

TnT
22nd July 2004, 14:29
Home: Win98 (for some games) and Linux (99% of the time)
Work: Mac OS X, I do work on WinXP too, but rarely
School: I log in to Sun Solaris machines to use pine (email) and have my school website on there.

dZeus
22nd July 2004, 15:27
Originally posted by KeiFront
Oops missed the mac option (it should have been OS X). So add one vote to the mac.

you think, we, the moderators, will edit polls? that goes completely against our moral code.

GNEP
22nd July 2004, 15:37
How come we get Tony Blair OS and dZeusOS but no NT and no other versions of MS/DR/PC-DOS than 3.3???? :p

lecter
22nd July 2004, 17:10
Home: WinXP Pro SP2
Work: OS X Panther (on a 266MHz G3 :D ), WinXP Pro SP2 and Win2003 Server

leech
22nd July 2004, 17:49
Hey, where's the Atari ST TOS? :D Actually my TOS computers have been collecting dust for far too long... would love to find a vga card for my TT030 or MegaSTe... though last time I looked, they were at least 200 bucks!

Leech

P.S. The Atari TOS... one of the most stable operating systems known to man, and the easiest to use by far. Too bad Atari pussed out of the computer scene... though I suppose if they hadn't, they'd be in the same boat as Amiga..... but at least the Amiga scene is almost alive... there is a few snippets from the TOS scene that I catch here and there (like the possibility of a TOS based system running on Motorola's new Coldfire CPU...) But never anything even as concrete as AmigaOS 4.0.... Ah, the memories...

Chrono_Wanderer
22nd July 2004, 18:14
Windows XP Pro RC2 DX9C
FreeBSD 5.2.2 (KDE 3.3 beta 2 is released today!)
Palm OS 5.2.2
Linux (RedHat 9)

spadnos
22nd July 2004, 18:33
Where's the "Custom" option?

Also, I had to settle for just plain UNIX instead of glorious IRIX.

What are the polls coming to these days :)

- Steve

Marshmallowman
22nd July 2004, 18:56
yeah where is atari TOS, I use 1.06 and 2.06. :)

winxp

linux 2.6.7/kd3.2.3

tos2.06/1.06 wth atari steam (emulator for PC)
and tos 1.06 for my uber 512 ste with 4mb of memory, yes thats right a full 4MB I say.

PS leech do you no of a good way of writing 720k floppies on a PC that a readable on a STE? most of old atari floppy games have succombed to the enevitable thermodynamic entropy.

Jammrock
22nd July 2004, 20:43
Originally posted by GNEP
How come we get Tony Blair OS and dZeusOS but no NT and no other versions of MS/DR/PC-DOS than 3.3???? :p
I've been trying to forget about NT for the past 2 years. But if you insist...

EDIT: Added four new options.

Marshmallowman
22nd July 2004, 22:49
Except I have already voted and can't add my vote for, and I do a give a tos :)

SpiralDragon
22nd July 2004, 23:00
win xp SP1a on my home worksation.
win95 OSR2 (aka Win97 here in leb :D ) at office.. :( pice of shit machine
Win2k SP2 On my Bosses machine... (she barly uses it...)
Mac OSX at some production houses i freelance at.. (but i just cant get past that one boton mouse.. its too frustrating... :D)

Sasq
22nd July 2004, 23:06
then plug a scroll wheel mouse in - works fine :p

GuchiGuh
23rd July 2004, 03:27
winxp
win2k
linux(rh, mandrake)

well i unistalled linux a while ago, because i didnt know wat the heck i was doing :p

leech
23rd July 2004, 04:15
Originally posted by Marshmallowman
yeah where is atari TOS, I use 1.06 and 2.06. :)

winxp

linux 2.6.7/kd3.2.3

tos2.06/1.06 wth atari steam (emulator for PC)
and tos 1.06 for my uber 512 ste with 4mb of memory, yes thats right a full 4MB I say.

PS leech do you no of a good way of writing 720k floppies on a PC that a readable on a STE? most of old atari floppy games have succombed to the enevitable thermodynamic entropy.

I know in the MS-DOS days, there was a program that would write them. I've pretty much just had to find the games that I bought ages ago for the Atari ST (Another world rocked!) and find the pirated version on the net. If you go to www.atari.st (I think that's still the site) there are ftp sites where you can download pretty much the entire library of the Atari ST. I can't recall what my 1040ST has, but my MegaSTe has 2.06 and my TT030 has 3.05. :D

My MegaSTe has 4mb of ram, and the TT030 has 2mb of ST ram and 4mb of TT ram! Oh yeah, I remember paying 90 bucks for those extra 2 1mb simms for my MegaSTe.. and I think it was 300 bucks for the daughter board for my TT.

Leech

Jammrock
23rd July 2004, 05:59
Originally posted by Marshmallowman
Except I have already voted and can't add my vote for, and I do a give a tos :)
Put a vote in for TOS for you.

Ribbit
23rd July 2004, 07:50
AIX is from IBM, not DEC.

Byock
23rd July 2004, 08:19
Hey! I voted for TOS, yet there is only 2!

I thought for sure Leech and I would be the only ones to vote for TOS. :D

dbdg
23rd July 2004, 09:42
2k although I am tempted to buy the XP up(down)grade to get HT.

TnT
23rd July 2004, 12:07

on and off, sometimes it doesn't work right. Dunno why.

KeiFront
23rd July 2004, 12:19
Originally posted by TnT
on and off, sometimes it doesn't work right. Dunno why.
Strange, works perfect here just plug and play (logitech scrollmouse).

SpiralDragon
23rd July 2004, 13:35

i realy doubt that would do me any good since i have developed an alergy for mac.... just because i cant afford one... besides my PC kicks Mac ars... well atleast the ones i have worked on... then again its how you use your tools.. :D

UtwigMU
23rd July 2004, 13:46
Personally I find Macs having too poor price performance:
- they also have bogus marketing - switch ads are insulting intelect of target audience or look at their supercomputer/Firsrt 64-bit computer/fastest computer ads
- they keep fancying themselves to BMW of computers, when they use same cheap .tw stuff that everyone uses
- for the price of a mac you can usually get a faster real BMW of computer (for instance dual Tyan/Supermicro board with SCSI subsystem or IBM Thinkpad)
- since they're smaller they can get away with a lot more than MS can wrt to bundling/closing/binding

leech
23rd July 2004, 14:32

Oops, my bad, damn early mornings... I misunderstood what you meant. I believe there is a utility that will write the .ST images to a floppy disk that will be exactly like the original disk for the ST. Let me look around a bit, and I'll get back to ya.

Leech

leech
23rd July 2004, 14:51
Ok, here goes... http://www.8hz.com/stdisk/page.html has an MS-DOS utility to write the ST images to disk. Not sure if it'll work in Win2k/XP...

Also under linux, there is this thread here. (http://www.atari-forum.com/sutra19892.html&sid=c6c8dad6731111f3d144f5bc6c1ad3bc) that explains how to write them.

And the best for last... http://www.emulators.com/explorer.htm will allow reading and writing from original ST and Mac disks. I Knew I could find it!

Leech

Sasq
23rd July 2004, 16:45
Originally posted by UtwigMU
Personally I find Macs having too poor price performance:
- they also have bogus marketing - switch ads are insulting intelect of target audience or look at their supercomputer/Firsrt 64-bit computer/fastest computer ads
- they keep fancying themselves to BMW of computers, when they use same cheap .tw stuff that everyone uses
- for the price of a mac you can usually get a faster real BMW of computer (for instance dual Tyan/Supermicro board with SCSI subsystem or IBM Thinkpad)
- since they're smaller they can get away with a lot more than MS can wrt to bundling/closing/binding

Sigh. Again, I use and ibook for work.

How many mac's have you actually used UTWIG?
*newsflash* my 14" ibook is comparable in feature set and abilities to the same priced wintel versions.

The people at apple have taken the time to make machines with excelent Human Interfaces.

I program for a living, I neither need or want a SMP system for typing text into a text editor.

bundling/closing/binding? You really have no knowledge of OSX do you.

When purchasing a computer these days Utwig, I look at actual quality, ease of use, functions and ability. For what I do, OSX is my best choice for a development platform. *NIX base with a GUI that works.

leech
23rd July 2004, 19:21
Sasq has it right, OSX just kicks ass, and quite frankly, I wish they'd release a port for x86 or x86-64 at least... Since it's based off of BSD code, and has a really pretty GUI. Though I don't know if I could ever get used to one mouse button...

Why else do you think there are so many attempts at polishing the turd that is Windows XP's interface and making it look and feel like the Mac OSX?

Leech

TnT
23rd July 2004, 20:07
The only reason I like OS X better than Windows is because I can use nearly all my open source apps on it. Thank goodness for Fink and now Gentoo's Portage on OS X! I wish I could just use Gentoo, but I need the admin and server tools. By the time PearPC is fully useable I doubt I'll be working here anymore.

Funny how I prefer using, a currently buggy-ass, Abiword port than Word, Appleworks or even TextEdit. Also have a license for Photoshop but Gimp 2 is installed instead. I feel like I'm not using my resources :)

KeiFront
24th July 2004, 05:40
I agree with you Utwig that macs are pricy, but still they are great machines of excellent build quality. And OS X is just a fantastic OS. I can do everything I want to do with it (except gaming ;)).

UtwigMU
24th July 2004, 06:39
I'd rather have IBM Centrino Thinkpad for the same price, of course different people have different criteria.

The OSX is a strong point of macs, it just comes down to wether you are willing to pay the premium to use it or not.

Marshmallowman
25th July 2004, 18:18
cheers leech, those links were spot on. :)