X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvd playback: audio

Hello,

I have a very amateuristic question... But here goes:

The soundcard on my computer (onboard Realtek AC97) has a 5.1 output (6 analog channels). When I play back a DVD, I only get stereo-output, even if the DVD has a 5.1 soundtrack.

How do I get 5.1 output ?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

You have to go into the properties of the DVD software and set the channels to 6 in the Audio section. And I believe the sound card has to be set to 6-speaker mode as well.

What software and sound card are you using?

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The soundcard is the onboard Realtek AC97 on a SuperMicro X5DA8 mainboard. Its analog audio outputs go to a number of amplifiers (sounds heavy, but it is just a simple workaround as I don't have a homecinema amplifier).

As for software, I have tried a number of players: powerdvd (which came with my Plextor 708A, but I get the impression you have to pay for an upgrade to 5.1 decoding), Ravisent (the Matrox player) and even MediaPlayer (gulp... ).

The card is set to allow multichannel output, but depening on what audio-output device I choose in the dvdplayer, I get either stereo, or no audio...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

windows doesn't come with filters to play back dvds, so i you play back through WMP and shows somethnig, it'll just be using the filters as provided by something else you installed (PowerDVD probably).

Try WinDVD or Media Player Classic. Also set the speaker output in the windows multimedia settings to the right amount of speakers.

Comment

And on top of that, the software has to support the sound card, too.

Basic DD 5.1 decoding should be built in to the DVD software. You usually only have to pay extra for DTS decoding, and other things like DD Headphone, SRS and stuff like that. Make sure that you are going into the DVD audio setup and setting the sound track to DD 5.1. The software may default it to stereo.

What version of PowerDVD are you using?

You should go download the trial version of WinDVD and see if that works. WinDVD usually has the best hardware support, so if it works with that then we know it's an issue with your other software.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

You'd hope the software can address the card through DirectSound routines without soundcard-specific support...

Comment

this might seem stupid:
              did you set the sound inside the DVD root menu to 5.1 Surround?

Comment

I don't think bundled versions of powerdvd have any 6 channel support.
                80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Rugger: yes, I have noticed that...
                  But should one get 6 channel sound on e.g. the Ravisent player or on media player ?

(I'll post a list of audiodevices that I can choose from later)

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Ok, these are the audio-out options I have in the Ravisent Player. None of them gives any audio output, I only get audio when I select 'downmix to 2 channels' (I can use the option 'dobly surround compatible' to have some use for the back speakers).

In PowerDVD, I have the same options, but I think as it is a bundled version, I need to purchase an additional software module to get it to work.

In MediaPlayer, I seem to be stuck with the downmix option (can't seem to find any other options)...

When I open the configuration window of the soundcard, I have a chance to test speakers; they all work in this configuration.

Any ideas?

Jörg
                    Attached Files
                    pixar

Comment

the filter doesn't support multi-speaker analogue output. Nearly none of the bundled players do.

Comment

Yes, but what do I need to do to get multi-speaker analogue output?
                        The soundcard has 6-channel output (which works when tested from its own application), the DVD has 5.1 channel audio, so what else do I need ?

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

software that does support multi-channel analogue output. Try a demo of WinDVD6 or the latest powerdvd.

Comment

will do...
                            Thanks!

Jörg
                            pixar

Comment

Working...
                            X