9800SE -> Pro softmod - good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9800SE -> Pro softmod - good idea?

With Doom3 just around the bend, and a payrise under my belt (not to mention a long chain of people wanting hand-me-downs) I'm thinking of a gfx card upgrade.

Best value for money for a man prepared to take a risk would seem to be buying a 256bit memory bus 9800SE and softmodding it to a 9800Pro and overclocking it until it squeals.

I've read a lot of articles from back when this became possible but some people are now telling me that the mod is blocked by recent cards and I was wondering if anyone has tried this recently and what level of success has been achieved?

If it's likely to work then I also have a couple of choices for purcahse -

Internet for about £110 (ish). very tough to return if it doesn't work.

PC World for £129 - I can just return it if it doesn't work and move on.

Obvisouly buying from PC world would cut me to the core, but it does seem the better choice as if the mod doesn't work I can just take it back and then try another model from somewhere else.

Would appreciate your thoughts, all.

Uberlad

[UPDATE] - I've just noticed that for £140 delivered I could just get a 9800Pro and not worry about the chance of the softmod not working. So PC World is out.
    Last edited by uberlad; 21 July 2004, 06:40.
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

I would have tried it 6months ago , but now with the price of 9800 pro's dropping so much I would not bother getting an SE as it is not worth the risk of getting a dud for the small(ish) price difference.

Comment

Yeah, also the 9800SE as you noted needed to be 256bit for that to happen. And most of those that are softmodable are already taken, while the dud ones are floating. Better to get a normal full one as MMM said. So far, it seems to only be a <50% of getting it modable without problems anyway (got myself one that is modable but with artifacts). So the chances are not really in your favour...

J1NG

Comment

You are making good points. It's only £40 difference from EBuyer to get a Pro version and I was going to get better cooling as it was. I still may if it's going to be overclocked to XT speeds.

Can anyone recommend anywhere cheaper than EBuyer for Pro's in that case?

Uberlad

Comment

Along the same lines, is the Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (Lite Retail) any good? It's the cheapest 9800 Pro I can find, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the "regular" and the "lite". Is it still 256bit? If it is, I may pick it up in a week or two...
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
            Along the same lines, is the Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (Lite Retail) any good? It's the cheapest 9800 Pro I can find, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the "regular" and the "lite". Is it still 256bit? If it is, I may pick it up in a week or two...
            logic Computerhouse has the R9800Pro for $310.99CDN now..(http://www.logiccomputerhouse.com) how much cheaper is the sapphire one you mentioned?
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Radeon 9800 Pro 128M (retail box) $305.00
              SAPPHIRE Radeon 9800 Pro 128M (lite retail) $289.00
              SAPPHIRE Radeon 9800SE 128M DDR $189.00
              SAPPHIRE Radeon 9600XT Ultimate 128M (box) $269.00

I think the first one is built by ATI. Is it worth the extra $15? How close in performance would the 9600XT be? Too many options!
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Note to self - Specify the UK when asking for decent prices

I'd expect that a 'lite' would have the lower width memory bus, but why you'd want to make and sell one crippled like that I'll never know. Maybe it just has a smaller bundle?

Most of the 128bit ones I've seen have been clearly labelled as such.

Uberlad

Comment

I'm pretty sure Sapphire stopped selling the 128bit 9800Pros. They've renamed them by dropping the "Pro", and they now put a big 128bit sticker on the box.

Comment

There it is, on sapphire's website.

Full retail indicates that the package contains the entire bundle including the Game software bundle and utilities. The Lite retail versions do not come bundled with the software bundle and are packaged with the neccessities needed to enjoy the pinnacle in performance from Sapphire alone.
                    Only the software bundle is different.

Comment

I've bought three Hercules AIW 9800 SE's. I was able to soft mod two out of three with no problems.
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                        I've bought three Hercules AIW 9800 SE's. I was able to soft mod two out of three with no problems.
                        Some people have all the luck...

J1NG

Comment

Originally posted by J1NG
                          Some people have all the luck...

J1NG
                          Actually, it sounds like he has about two thirds of the luck.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

this link looks quite interesting

Q: Can I damage my card with the softmod? What if it doesn't work?
                            A: You can not damage your card by using this driver. If it does not work for a reason just reinstall the original unmodified driver. It is also not possible to detect if a card has been softmodded before.
                            looks like you could give it a try before shelling out money ...
                            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                            LG BH10LS38
                            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Uh? Maggi, you need the card to test with the softmod drivers to see if it'll run softmodded. How do try a card without shelling out money???

J1NG

Comment

Working...
                              X