PDA

View Full Version : Sony 23" Widescreen

Helevitia
19th July 2004, 15:21
This is a very nice looking monitor. Too bad it is so expensive. It also has 16ms response time. Anybody have an opinion on it?

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/250x250/SDMP234B.jpg

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=ywYhnEOJ248h2AN1g5crlwyFPbZehvATUGI=?Pro ductSKU=SDMP234%2fB&Dept=cpu_Displays&CategoryName=cpu_Displays_FlatPanelLCDs_20%22

Fluff
19th July 2004, 15:44
Only have the opinion that it's nice looking, and i cant afford it :)

Jammrock
19th July 2004, 18:10
$2600 per screen ... peh ... chump change. I'll take 3 :p

Jammrock

Sasq
19th July 2004, 18:12
Being honest, in about 18 months when I start telecomuting from home, I'm seriously considering two.

Well the Mac versions, attached to a dual G5...

DGhost
19th July 2004, 18:44
sexay.

UtwigMU
19th July 2004, 19:12
I don't like the stand.

The mac models have better design.

xortam
19th July 2004, 21:51
My 23" HP WUXGA 16ms LCD still looks like a bargain at $1700.

Helevitia
19th July 2004, 23:34
I never realized that the LCD you were looking at was a widescreen. I couldn't find it on HP's site, but they appear to have a new one?

http://hpshopping.speedera.net/www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/images/products/p9612a_400.jpg

http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@097363222 2.1090303693@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddadcmdffmjejcfngcfkmdfondfgf.0&landing=monitors&category=hp&subcat1=flat_lcd&catLevel=3&product_code=P9612A%23ABA

Fluff
20th July 2004, 02:07
now it's gone up in price. by 400 USD

ayoub_ibrahim
20th July 2004, 02:36
Originally posted by Fluff
now it's gone up in price. by 400 USD
hmm, see what this thread is doing! :D

Rob(QG)
20th July 2004, 06:07
What is it with LCD manufacturers sticking speakers on them. Anyone spending that much money on an LCD monitor or LCD TV isn't going to be using the speakers anyway - they would almost certainly have a decent audio setup as well.

Sony seems to have realised this. The HP model, however is wasting a lot of space on the speakers.

TransformX
20th July 2004, 09:03
Originally posted by Rob(QG)
What is it with LCD manufacturers sticking speakers on them. Anyone spending that much money on an LCD monitor or LCD TV isn't going to be using the speakers anyway - they would almost certainly have a decent audio setup as well.

:up: :up: I say the same about high end TV sets as well !!!
Why bother ? Even worse, why make me pay for lousy speakers I'll never use ?

Wombat
20th July 2004, 09:33
Originally posted by Rob(QG)
What is it with LCD manufacturers sticking speakers on them. Anyone spending that much money on an LCD monitor or LCD TV isn't going to be using the speakers anyway - they would almost certainly have a decent audio setup as well. I disagree. On an executive's desk, these would work, where separate speakers wouldn't.

UtwigMU
20th July 2004, 09:51
Any executive worth his title would proabably have a desk bigger than schooldesk.

Wombat
20th July 2004, 09:58
Originally posted by UtwigMU
Any executive worth his title would proabably have a desk bigger than schooldesk. So? It's not about space, it's about the way having speakers (and their wires) sitting on your desk looks. Especially since people often see the desks from the back.

Rob(QG)
20th July 2004, 10:25
Originally posted by Wombat
I disagree. On an executive's desk, these would work, where separate speakers wouldn't.
That's a fair point.

Perhaps they all need to bring out two models - an executive with speakers for wads more cash (they can afford it), and bring out lower priced versions with no speakers.:D

xortam
20th July 2004, 10:25
The HP f2304 is the consumer version of my LCD. I have the business model, the L2335 (http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/monitors/tft/l2335_specs.html), which doesn't have the speakers and is $500 less. The f2304 came out a couple months after the L2335. I stuck with the L2335 order since I didn't want cheap speakers or the excessive width (I also don't use the tuners in my "TVs" so a monitor was perfect). I've been very happy with the L2335 so far for both computer use and video, including HDTV (PC ATSC tuner card). I haven't had a chance to try gaming on it yet though I'm "borrowing" a capable BFG 6800 GT oc card. Both the tuner and graphics card feed into the LCD through DVI-D.

Helevitia
20th July 2004, 10:29
How does the picture look in other resolutions? For instance, anything other than the native resolution? How is the ghosting? Anything you don't liek about it? I am seriously considering getting one.

Thanks,
Dave

xortam
20th July 2004, 10:55
Its been fine at all resolutions. I run at 1:1 pixel mappings on the desktop so that's native 1900x1200 but the ATSC tuner card will take over full screen and show at the native video resolution which might be 1080i, 720p, 480i, or 480p. I let my tuner card scale if I want to fill the screen but the monitor does very well. I let my monitor do the scaling through the S-Video connections for NTSC so it will fill the screen (native 480i is tiny on this display).

Little annoyances would be things like the power saver kicks in too quick when switching inputs and you hesitate. You have to wait a couple seconds then before you can continue cycling through the inputs. I constantly cycle between S-Video and DVI-D though you can also use the PIP (haven't played with that much). The buttons are a little cheap tactilely but they haven't changed their operation at all at this point (no looser or noisier). I'm also running into a problem where the scaling gets stuck in 1:1 and I can't get the S-Video back to full screen without restoring defaults. The scaling is only an option under DVI-D so you have to switch to that input, set your scaling, and then go back to NTSC.

I really like the pivot and I'll swing the display towards me or the both of us during couch viewing or I'll tilt it up for the wife's stepper exercising behind the couch. I hardly turn on my old 45" Mits RPTV any more except when I'm running two different sources. The LCD does look worse on dark movies as is true with all LCDs due to their low contrast ratios. You'll also get some contouring but no worse then what I've seen on the big TVs. I haven't done any calibration yet but one should be able to dial out false contouring through gamma curve adjustment. I'm not going to tweak anything until I figure out how to avoid restoring defaults. Calibration is also way low on my list of things to do while integrating all my new equipment.

GT98
20th July 2004, 12:50
Originally posted by Helevitia
I am seriously considering getting one.

Thanks,
Dave

Need help robbing that bank dave? I could use some extra $$$ too ;)

az
20th July 2004, 13:35
Why is no one getting the new 30" (!!) apple cinema display? :)

AZ

UtwigMU
20th July 2004, 15:47
Well, Az we could arrange for European MURCers to get together and hit a bank.

az
20th July 2004, 15:53
:)

AZ

Sasq
20th July 2004, 16:06
Reminds me, I must pop over to the Apple Ginza store and play with one.

I've played with the 23" ones, and I must admit, I would like 2 on my desk ;) sadly the 30" uses dual DVI input

GT98
20th July 2004, 16:41
Originally posted by az
Why is no one getting the new 30" (!!) apple cinema display? :)

AZ

whats the pixel respose on these guys anyway?

Chrono_Wanderer
20th July 2004, 20:25
hmm... all of a sudden that put my LCD to shame.

However, I think mine looks better than that sony hehehe (woah! lol)