"I, Robot" movie review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I, Robot" movie review

With the mother-in-law in town, the wife and I went out and caught our first movie together in ... oh, about 1.5 years.

To start, for all the I, Robot book fans, the movie will be a love/hate relation. The movie turned out not to be the blatant butchery of the book as the previews depict. It turns out that's just the stupid Hollywood marketing machine up to the same crap. Though it doesn't follow any of the actual short stories in I, Robot it does keep the basics of the book intact. That is, what are the 3 laws of robotics and how do they work in "real life." How does man and machine alike bend and twist the 3 laws and can they be broken?

Okay, enough of the theoretical crap...

The movie itseld is good. Very good, in fact. It was about 10x better than I expected it to be. It's not a masterpiece mind you, but it's very good. It has the typical summer movie blackbuster action mixed in with decent dialogue to move the "ideas" of Assimov. The effects are of course spectacular. The action is good. The story is good. The ending is good. And I liked it.

My only big problem with it, though, was that I picked out a key aspect of the movie in the first 15 minutes. Even with that knowledge I still enjoyed it.

3.5 of 5 stars. If they worked on making the dialogue a bit better, i.e. less typical Will Smith one-liners (some new ones would be nice), and key parts weren't so predictable (at least to me, my wife didn't catch them), I would have given it 4.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I haven't read the book, so I guess I'm going to enjoy the film

Does Will Smith drive that cool looking Audio I see i nthe trailor?

Comment

Re: "I, Robot" movie review

Originally posted by Jammrock

My only big problem with it, though, was that I picked out a key aspect of the movie in the first 15 minutes. Even with that knowledge I still enjoyed it.
      Jammrock

its a holywood rule of thumb... you need to captivate the audiance with the first 10 mini as mutch as posible ... like wise when submiting a script to some production company... if the first 10 pages do not captivate, or tell a big part of the story to the screening reader the script simply gets tosed out the window. regardless wether its good or not....
      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Will Smith does drive a very cool looking Audi. How he affords one on a cop's salary is anyone's guess.

Like I said, I picked it out, being a big sci-fi fan it was pretty easy. The wife didn't.

Jammrock

Comment

They need sunlight to recharge huh. Oh so the way to defeat them was to permanently darken the skys so they can't get light! :P

Comment

HOW DID YOU KNOW?!?!?!?

Oh, that was sarcasm...

Comment

Working...
            X