A64 has probs with the read command on tRCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A64 has probs with the read command on tRCD

Until I found out about this, I had a lot of problems and so does a lot of other people, so I thought you would want to know.

I couldn't even install Windows! It would hang on loading the drivers.

The Athlon64 itself uses a single memory channel and only one controller on the CPU. Because of this, the Athlon 64 (non-FX) can actually use plain vanilla, unbuffered, non-ECC modules. There are, however, still some peculiarities of the Athlon64 systems in how they are handling memory which effects memory compatibility.

One of the most critical issues in this resepect relates to the first step in the memory access sequence, that is, the opening of a memory page and subsequent steps until a read command can be issued. All of these steps fall into the time frame referred to as RAS-to-CAS delay or tRCD. In a typical system, the memory controller on the chipset is running at bus speed. On the Athlon64, it is running at CPU speed, which means that it is A LOT faster. That means that the internal sequence of commands also goes faster, and that's where all systems are getting hiccups if the memory chips used can only run at a high tRCD.

A very trivial explanation is that the controller expects that the memory is as fast as it itself but we don't have memory yet running at a 2 GHz and beyond clock rate. What it comes down to is that, depending on the BIOS tuning (by the manufacturer), the read command is issued a bit too early and violates the tRCD. The workaround is to add one additional cycle to the actual memory latency, that is, a 2:2:2-rated DIMM will run stable at 2:3:2; a 2:3:2 rated module will, most likely, need to be set to 2:4:2 in order to run stable (where the latencies are CAS:tRCD:tRP). Bottom line is that when shopping for memory for the Athlon64, it is highly advisable and in most cases mandatory to only consider memory with a tRCD of 2 or, to make it simple, memory that is rated at 2:2:2 a the designated speed. Alternatively, registered DIMMs can be used as well without problems, even though they are slightly more expensive and will give lower performance.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

the Intel 875 boards I've got have problems with tRCD too, where it needs to run at 3 when the memory is rated for a delay of 2.

Comment

Is it the same problem?
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Actually many board and memory modules have problems with those short latencies, even though the RAM should work, theoretically.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Crucial just release 2-2-2 hardcore gamer RAM. Called Ballistix:

From hard-core gamers to casual players, we have the gaming products you need for the gaming experience you crave. Crucial's high performance gaming memory and storage fuels legendary gaming experiences.

Prices seem to be on par with other 2-2-2 RAMs.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

that's not going to help if the chipset or cpu is the cause of the problem

Comment

Hey, are they optimized for game animations like those black CD-Rs?

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
              X