DVD Burners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Burners

I need help in picking out a DVD Burner. I've been reading about the newer Dual layer buners that do 8.4GB on a DL Disc, but otherwise I have no clue as to whats out there and could use some suggestions.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Regarding DL: The media is scarce, the speed is only 2.4.

By the time media comes arround in quantity, faster DL burners should come arround.

Get DL only if price difference is not big.

Comment

Here now the NEC Dual Layer DVD burners cost the same as other normal DVD writers (~£50)

Comment

Wait at least one month or two, if you don't need it immediately. The DL drives won't be much more expensive. Here in Germany the Sony DL driver costs 99 Euro. But no media available yet.
        I'm also waiting.

Comment

Sony and burners don't go together IMO.

I think you can look at LG for a moment. It writes anything you throw at it

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer

I think you can look at LG for a moment. It writes anything you throw at it
            I agree. Benq should also be nice. The other producers but Sony are a bit late this time. Maybe just because that Sony knows its chance being limited against them, so a quick launch is the only way to get a share.

Comment

Personally I have my eyes set on Plextor PX-708A - 12x is too expensive considering DL is arround the corner, DL is not effective ATM, Plextor is Plextor.

Comment

I was looking at a lite-on SOHW-832S DVD burner...anyone here good/bad about it?
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                  I totally disagree. Many of the Sony burners are rebadged Lite-Ons.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

true dat wombat
                    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                      So just buy a Lite-On then. I haven't bought anything other than lite-on for the last 4 years and I've never regretted it. Sony often puts their fingers into the pie (they have that right of course) and you unless you research you don't know which model is what.
                      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                        lol that just rang the bell, read an article on that a month or 2 ago. I had real bad experience with Sony CD-R burners. I know that can change over time with DVDs being a different media, but I just don't trust sony with optical stuff anymore.

You know the thing, like one bad experience, and not going back.

However, their drive front panels do look nice

Comment

i've been pissed off at ever lite-on i've owned. they have had knack for developing strange problems (or flat out dying) after ~6-12 months of use.

my TDK DVD burner (rebadged NEC 2500 - even has their FCC ID on it) has kicked ass since i've owned it, and I recently was able to flash it with the firmware to a newer model (TDK 882N - same as the NEC 2510a, which is coincidentally the same hardware as the NEC 2500 or the TDK 880N that I own, it just has Dual Layer support in it's firmware) and it still seems stable - burnt a DVD without fail the other night, but I do not have any DL media to test it with.
                          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

The NEC 2500/2510 are both highly regarded burners for burn quality. Check out the review of the 2500 at cdfreaks.com.

Newegg as a whopping 5$ difference between the 2500 and the 2510 atm. I just bought a 2510 last week and it's arriving today. In fact, fedex has already made their failed attempt at dropping it off so I'll be making a pit stop on my way home. I expect to be burning a whole bunch of crap tonight; 2 copies of each disc that I need to archive all my photo's (I think that puts me at 8 discs atm).

I'll let you know how it does after tonight.

Ian
                            Primary System:
                            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                            Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                            Seccondary System:
                            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                            3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                            Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                            Tertiary system
                            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

One of my friends has NEC ND-2500. We have found out that while it is quite good in reading/writing the disks which are burned with this particular DVD-writer, it doesn't read so well other disks witch are burned with other DVD-writers. We have seen this behavior with many cheap no-named medias so far. The situation can be very different when all of your friends are using well-known medias, such as TDK, Verbatim, Sony, etc.

I'm using TEAC DV-W50D (almost a year or so) and I haven't seen any problems with it so far. Actually, this drive uses Pioneer hardware, but TEAC has some own firmware for it.
                              Last edited by Mikko; 21 July 2004, 13:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X