Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL Server TCP/IP Help!

Hi all,

Got an SQL Server that if you sit on the box itself, you can connect via TCP/IP using

telnet 127.0.0.1 1433

But if I use the real IP address, or the PC name, it fails. From local or over the network...Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Steve

depends on which flavour, for example postgresql has a hosts file, that you will be being blocked in.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Sorry, MS SQL 2000.

Comment

dan thinks back to his SQL7 cert, haven't touched MS-SQL in a few years.

there should be a setting somewhere to say which hosts can connect. standard install *should* lock down to localhost only, you need to open up permissions from here.

where it is, I have nfi.
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

hmm, I don't telnet into my sql servers. I use enterprise manager.

Out of curiosity, what's the purpose/benefit? I generally only use telnet these days to config routers and managed switches.

Do you have MS firewall active on the network connection by any chance? Did you install XP SP2? It could be blocking the port.

Here’s are two MS articles on enabling connectivity:

How to enable SQL Server connectivity on Windows XP Service Pack 2
          How to manually enable TCP/IP on Windows XP Service Pack 2 for SQL Server 2000

Good luck.
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I use telnet for error checking/testing connectivity.

nothing like telnet to see if the dang port is acctually open. also great tool if your not sure what headers are being sent with web pages etc.
            Juu nin to iro

Comment

Yeah telnet is a great tool. BTW this is running on Win2k server.

sasq - I'll have a dig for that otion.

Comment

r u running the latest sql service pack?
                P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

hmm, Can you hit it with Enterprise Manager? I have about 10 SQL 2000 boxes here, and never had to enable anything to hit it over the network.

SQL 2000 SP3a on Win2k and Win2k3
                  "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Yeah Enterprise manager works but that's using named pipes. Have found out that it's not got any SQL service packs installed!

Comment

Working...
                    X