Stupid unnecessary death !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid unnecessary death !

Yesturday on the fastest highway in Israel, a tire exploded on a GMC van carrying about 18 people (apparantly the driver brought Palestinians to work in Israel) and has caused the driver to lose control over the car. 1 (20 year old) died, a kid (9 yo) and a man (40 yo) were badly wounded and 14 suffered light wounds.

A paramedic who finished her shift was on her way home when she received the call. The accident was on the south->north side of the road so she parked on the left side of the road (south->north), and went to the accident.

The highway

That's the paramedic's car, the accident happend on the road on the right side of the picture.

As they finished giving first aid to the wonded and evacuated them to the hospital, policemen asked about the volkswaged parked on the other side of the highway and asked that it'll be moved asap because it's dangerously parked.
    The paramedic said goodbye to the TV crew who was already there (she said "I hope next time we meet will be at happier cimcumstances") and went to put back her medical equipment in her car and continue home.
    A driver who was too occupied watching the accident on the other side of the highway deviated from his line to the left and hit her (the TV crew still had the camera on, so you could hear the hit and a second later the camera was pointed at the new accident). She died on the spot The second picture was taken second after she was hit.
    Last edited by TransformX; 12 July 2004, 23:26.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

No good words, but damn that sucks.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

One of the facts of life once you have one accident theres likely to be another on the other side due to people staring at the first accident.

Just thinking in this country it's doubtful she'd have made it across in the first place. I wouldn't try crossing any of the major motorways.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

She didn't cross the motorway, she crossed between motorways. That's why she parked on the left.
        About people staring at accidents instead of driving on, it's a plague here.

Comment

Sorry my misunderstanding.

Looking at accidents happens everywhere must be something do with the human psychi
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I don't know if it's the same in Europe, but most of the time here, if there's an accident on one side of the road, both sides of the road become blocked.

Comment

we call it 'Rubber necking' in Oz
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

A popular open source figure here was recently driven over while he was helping some people at an accident site at the side of a Autobahn.

This is very very tragic, taking the most selfless among us, but they both should maybe have put up a warning triangle 100m up the road - MAYBE it could have avoided what happened. If you stop at the side of the road and get out of the car, always put up a warning triangle! (I believe it's even mandatory here)

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                  we call it 'Rubber necking' in Oz
                  Same here... have seen at least once where the police created a canvas barrier around the accident scene on a major hwy to reduce the rubber necking. Very problematic everywhere
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

That's the worst thing I've heard all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                      Same here... have seen at least once where the police created a canvas barrier around the accident scene on a major hwy to reduce the rubber necking. Very problematic everywhere
                      That's an excellent idea. Rubber necking is a serious problem here too (probably everywhere in the world), and that would help a great deal. I've almost been hit from behind several times by people staring at the accident, since I'd been slowed down by more people in front of me staring at the accident. Utter chaos.
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

There ought to be an emergeny light on cars that you can activate and causes horns to blow and a huge bank of red lights to come on with flashing arrows and stop signs.

Comment

Oh man. That is terrible.
                          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R.
                            There ought to be an emergeny light on cars that you can activate and causes horns to blow and a huge bank of red lights to come on with flashing arrows and stop signs.
                            And then we could put men in them, and call them police...men. Yeah, policemen!
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                            X