Upgrade Failure on BE-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Failure on BE-6

Finally got my 850 chip, but could not get it to boot on my Abit BE-5, even after reinstalling the 500, redownloading and reflashing the bios. Anyone upgrade their Abit BE-6 (version 1) to 850?

Looks like I may have to upgrade the board. Seems like the BX-440 boards are few and far between and mostly support CPU's that are hard to find. Thinking about AMD. My old K6II-266 is still going strong over at my mother-in-law's house. Thinking about a 1 gig T-bird on an ASUS board. Any tips would be appreciated.

nah... I find it difficult to believe that your board doesn't support a Coppermine 850.. my Abit BX6 r.2 runs with a Coppermine 700@933MHz, and it's a older model than your board.

Comment

Don't know whether it would be newer or not. It is the very first BE-6 v.1 purchased in the summer of 1999. Abit's site says my latest bios update should support an 850 CPU. It's possible the OEM chip I got was just bad or was a 133 rather than a 100 -- even though proported to be the 100. At any rate, it took me 3 hours to get the original 500 meg CPU running again after the aborted attempt, so don't think I will go there again. I barely have time to do any editing much less monkey with stuff like this all weekend.

Comment

Working...
      X