Disc restoration.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc restoration.....

This time I have a disk restoration question for those who deal with it daily.

The wife has two Maxtor D740X's on her system for storage; one on a PCI IDE controller (Promise Ultra133) and the other on the secondary slave of her MSI-745 Ultra (SiS 745).

The other day she decided, against my advice, to put them both on a single cable as master/slave on the Ultra133. Problem is she botched the install by not setting the jumpers right.

When she rebooted the system scanned both drives and, it seems, scrambled their directory structures.

Now when you click on 'em (yes, they're now re-jumpered properly) you see the dreaded "found 0000" folder with hundreds of sub-folders plus a bunch of nonsensical files.

Anyone know a good way to rebuild their directories and get things linked properly? Norton ain't do'in shite.

Checking the free space using Properties just shows a few megs used, not the half full discs she started with.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 July 2004, 15:40.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Sorry to be the messenger of bad news, but your SOL
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'm not....she is

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Too be honest I think her actions were hidden by a system failure anyway. I'm pretty sure if you reverse master and slave the system will fail to boot anyway.
        Master master won't work etc. Slave slave etc.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          I'm not....she is

Dr. Mordrid
          Are you sure?

Just wait untill you tell her
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
          X