Cant acces syemantec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant acces syemantec

ok... my bosses PC got some sort of virus.. or worm.. i have no idea sinc i cant trace it... all i have is here word of the symptoms.... pop-up screen notifying of shut down... norton AV stops wprking... etc...

ok so i cleaned up a bit here and there.... when i tried to update the deffenitons i ran smak into a problem... live update will not/canot acces the symantec website.... IE cant acces the symantec website.... as a mater of fact its as if on my bosses computer symantec doesnot exist..?!?!

i can acces it from any other computer but not from hers...

any ideas, sugestions?
    "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

check the hosts file to see if there's a garbage entry.

in windows 9x it's located here: c:\windows\hosts

in windows NT/2000/XP it's here: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Open the file in notepad to see if there's an entry for symantec. I've seen this before. If there is, erase the line and save the file. Then try connecting to their site again.

McAfee has a free virus detection and removal utility that you can download from their site and run on her computer too.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

thnax.. i'll try that
      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

if this is xp or win2k, use run>shutdown -a to abort the shutdown.
        sounds like the blaster exploit. do you know if the necessary windows patches have been applied?
        suggest you download the Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows XP (KB826939) and the sasser patch
        you can get the blaster removal tool from here & the sasser tool from here
        see if you can get the latest norton virus definitions from here

Comment

aperantly the system has been running without the patches... and without windows builtin firewall too... not my machine but i took care of the problem,,,thanx shmosef i tried your solution and it worked.

Comment

Try avast antivirus:

Join 435 million others and get award-winning free antivirus for PC, Mac & Android. Surf safely & privately with our VPN. Download Avast today!

It's free on registration. They also have a CD version for cleaning up systems.

Bring up taskmanager. If taskmanager won't show up, download Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com (also free).

Check what processess are running and google for each process.

Vrite the processess that are malicious down.

Boot in safe mode.

For any processess that are not legit (are malicious):
            - search where the exe is
            - delete it
            - delete anything that is not legitimate (google for .exes) from registry in HKLM\Software\Windows\Current Version\Run

After you clean stuff manually install antivirus (I recommend Avast.) and do a scan.

Also install both Lavasoft Adaware and Spybot Search and destroy, update them, do a scan and remove anything found.

After that is complete:
            - download and install either Mozilla, Firefox or Opera and make it a default browser (You will also need to manually download Sun Java from java.com and Flash and Shockwave from Macromedia.com, Real Alternative (just google for it) offers Real media plugin for Mozilla Gecko based and Opera browsers
            - download Kerio Personal Firewall (better) or ZoneAlarm (more user friendly, p2p clients get corrupt files) or enable WindowsXP firewall
            - do a Windows update and turn on automatic updates
            - set antivirus to update automatically
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 14 July 2004, 02:58.

Comment

well my boss still works on Comunicator 4.7.. she cant handle that kind of change.. trust me ... but i have her system set up quite well now.. she is safe for the momnet

Comment

Working...
              X