Win XP SP2 RC out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win XP SP2 RC out

WARNING, it's still beta so install at your own risk!

Installed it and so far so good, applications launch faster and the Windows Firewall is pretty flexible.
    Internet explorer's popup blocker seems to work nicely, no crashes yet.

Will report any issues I run into.

Regards,
    Elie

Got to admit I don't like it. Too much in your face for me and it's certainly going too cause a lot of phone calls to our helpline. At least RC2 knows about Mcafee but apparently doesn't know about Symantec.

The automatic updates needs some work still. I heard that it can install updates on shutdown but one person found that his machine took half n hour to shutdown. Unless they fixed this this isn't good enougth.

Windows Update also doesn't take into account Office updates which are still a seperate and too most non techie people unheard of site. Again not good enougth.

It would be nice if it had some performance improvements as well.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Symantec's NAV 2005 beta supports the SP2 security center. however, it also includes its own firewall. EVIL EVIL EVIL.
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

The only thing I've got against Nortons is when it goes wrong it goes wrong big style. Another bunch of people who can't write uninstallers properly.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Have used SP2 on a desktop at home, and on my laptop at work for a while now, and I have to say that I'm very satisfied with it. Pop-up blocker is working good, and the firewall is also good. Now I don't need Norton Internet Security, Antivirus is good enough. And the buildt in Bluetooth suport in XP is also working fine

Will install it on my workstation when it's released. So far it's only for english and german language. I have Norwegian on my workstation, ther I will get suport for the NX-bit in my Athlon 64 processor to...

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
            The only thing I've got against Nortons is when it goes wrong it goes wrong big style. Another bunch of people who can't write uninstallers properly.
            That dam thing has actually made me deal with security permissions in the freaking registry! The registry!!!!!!!

Comment

I know, I never will buy another product from Nortons, their software is nothing but bloatware!!!

Comment

Norton or McAfee = Memory Hogs.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor
                  Pop-up blocker is working good, and the firewall is also good.
                  Firewall is good.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                    Firewall is good.
                    Have not installed SP2 yet, but Hmmm - that would be my reaction too. Not saying that NIS is the de-facto standard, but does SP2 firewall allow one to prevent individual apps from talking to the internet like with NIS? My reading so far says no..............
                    Lawrence

Comment

I thought the SP2 firewall worked like ZoneAlarm?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                        I thought the SP2 firewall worked like ZoneAlarm?
                        A good reason why it's crap then. Slightly off topic have zonealarm sorted there problems out yet with the latest release??
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

ZoneAlarm is a piece of shit. and honestly, NIS is not any better.

no, SP2 doesn't allow you to prevent outgoing connections. It does, however, have much better control of incoming connections.

this being said, i am pretty sure that relatively soon we are going to see worms and other spyware/malware that can bypass not only the XP firewall, but also ZA and NIS.
                          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Anyone know if there's any reason why there are no NIC's with a built-in firewall?

Comment

What purpose would it serve?
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X