New monitor has white "glow"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New monitor has white "glow"

I just bought a new CRT monitor (Syncmaster 793df). Granted it was cheap, and that was basically what I was going for

I just noticed that (for example) if I'm browsing a webpage with black background there is a white-ish glow around the edges where the black meets for example the grey scrollbar.

The same happens if I change my desktop background color to black. I will see a glow at the edge between the desktop and the taskbar (and also around icons).

Is this a monitor problem? Can I calibrate my way out of this? Or do I now suffer because I let price be the deciding factor when I bought this thing!?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

my Iiyama had that which is why I sold it off... it's ghosting, caused by bad electronics in the monitor (or a bad monitor cable, but not in my case).

Comment

Run this monitor toolkit to properly setup your monitor and then see if your problem is still there.

BTW, I have a Mitsubishi 2040u(high-end monitor from 2-3 years ago) and I have the same problem. That is my biggest complaint about this monitor.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Sounds to me like the bias is too high. Had similar issue with my IBM P260 21" til I found there was a autocalibration feature hidden behind a mess of OSD settings for color temp settings
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll check out that toolkit when I get home.

So apparently this stuff happens!? So if I can't get rid of it is it something I have to live with or is it considered reason enough for an RMA?
          If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Unless it's very strong I don't believe they'll accept it.
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Give the monitor 30 minutes to warm up and then check... yes, if this is new I'd send it back, it normally gets worse over time.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

If they won't replace it, the problem persists when the monitor warms up, and it cannot be fixed via the various user accessable controls, you might try turning down the screen voltage on the flyback transformer. If you don't know what that means, you can read up here: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_monfaq.html

Standard warning: Exploding glass, X-ray exposure, and electricution hazards are the sole responsibility of the person playing around with the guts of a small particle accelerator.

Comment

I wouldn't ask anyone who is proficient working with the internals of a monitor to mess with it.

Nor would I expect anyone to suggest such unless it was out of warranty and the only thing left todo... and in that case take it to a service shop even then

Comment

Well I'm speechless. I returned the monitor today and traded it in for an Iiyama instead. And it does the exact same thing!

Could it be that the problem is somewhere else??

What are the odds that it's my graphics card doing this and I just didn't notice because my old monitor was too crap to show it?
                    Last edited by Chris B; 8 July 2004, 11:20.

Comment

iiyama aren't all that good either. Very variable in quality. You haven't got your contrast on full have you???
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Actually the contrast is on full. I'll try toying around with the settings.

What seemed odd to is that looking at the "white glow" compared to the first monitor, I would say it is exactly the same on both of them. I just mean... what are the odds of two monitors having the same error to the exact same degree. May just be my eyes on this one though.

Comment

You don't have the brightness turned up all the way do you? On my SyncMaster 763MB I have it set to 37 (out of 100) to get proper black, anything above that and black starts to turn gray.

I should have read your post better, was thinking you meant that blacks weren't fully black.
                          Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 8 July 2004, 13:32.

Comment

I got an $800 Hitachi 21" two years ago that does the same thing.

Comment

Yeah, this stuff is all too common lately. My old Iiyama Vision Master Pro 17 doesn't have it, the new-ish Iiyama MA901U 19" does. It's not your graphics card's fault, it's not the cable's, it's the monitor. Nothing you can do but to get another model (and hope) or reduce brightness (sometimes to an unacceptable level).

I, too, find it very distracting. I cannot concentrate on text with it.

AZ
                              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                              X