Advise for my new toy, while it's batteries charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise for my new toy, while it's batteries charge

Ok....believe it or not, I've been using this same keyboard since my first 486/dx33. Never wanted to give it up, cause nobody makes a decent 'clicky' keyboard these days.
    Ya know, I've never even had a windows 'start' key
    I run the KB on an AT-ps/2 adapter plug.

Been using the same Logi 'cordless mouseman wheel' since my P2-400.
    Never owned an optical mouse.

So, I just got home with my new logi cordless mx duo..cordless elite kb + mx700 optical w/ recharge base

And now the question...
    I can run the Keyboard on either the standard ps/2 kb jack, or on USB.
    My inclination is to just use the KB jack. Is there any good reason I might want to use USB?

edit:
    If I use USB, it also eliminates using the ps/2 mouse plug.
    So both the mouse and KB would be USB....
    Last edited by Kruzin; 2 July 2004, 19:21.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

My hp at work only accepts usb kb's

No real difference unless you have a few boxes and a kvm switch - though saying bye bye to ps/2 is sorta nice
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I use the PS/2 connections. If I didn't, I wouldn't have enough USB ports for other stuff.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, USB ports are not a prob for me. I have 4 ports on my mobo, and only use 1 for the digital camera...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

And another Q....
          If I go USB, can I leave my existing KB on the ps/2 port, and have the option of switching KBs?
          I know I can do it with the mouse, and plan to. Until my hand gets used to the new mouse, I may want to switch back and forth. It would be nice to do that with the KB as well...

Comment

If you use USB keyboards be careful of your BIOS settings if you use legacy anything. If you're a pure Wink2, WinXP, Win2k3 guy then it's no problem. One of the fun things I did was disable the PS/2 ports to free up some system resources.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

only think to note, if you pc goes into standby, and you have unplugged the usb kb. you will need to use the power switch to wake it.

Apart from that, no issues with mine at work i have seen.
              (I use a MS$ pro natural MultiMedia wireless KB/mouse at work)
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Only run XP pro...

Comment

I have the same setup for a year now. I notice that I have less problems when using the ps/2 ports.

And the other thing that Wombat already mentioned is that you can possibly run out of USB ports. I have my printer and scanner plugged into the back and I don't have anymore ports back there for USB so that is the main reason I use ps/2.

Dave
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

btw, the batteries don't have the memory effect so you can charge it for 15 minutes and it will give you one full day of use. Just do that and charge it overnight after you are done.
                    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Well, ps/2 it is.
                      I can't get it to do squat on USB...

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                        If you use USB keyboards be careful of your BIOS settings if you use legacy anything. If you're a pure Wink2, WinXP, Win2k3 guy then it's no problem. One of the fun things I did was disable the PS/2 ports to free up some system resources.

Jammrock
                        The other problem is the sometimes problematic Windows USB support. If it decides to install the wrong driver for the USB KB/mouse, PS2 can save you a lot of time and allow you to reinstall.

Happened to me once while installing some allegedly cr*ppy Trust cordless USB mice (even after I had recommended against doing so...). The driver borked the system and Windows remained so even after I had cleaned up (or so I thought) everything. The thing to know is that it borks the mouse AND KB if they're both PS2 or USB.

So I had to unplug my nice and useless USB KB to put in a PS2 one (the Trust mouse was of course useless) and reinstall the default Microsoft PS2 driver (problems there too as Windows had actually decided some Logitech driver was the default/generic driver, so I had to solve that too).

That's the problem with USB. Were it to be a PS2 KB, it would have continued to work even with the wrong drivers and I wouldn't have lost so much time...

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                          btw, the batteries don't have the memory effect so you can charge it for 15 minutes and it will give you one full day of use. Just do that and charge it overnight after you are done.
                          That was the marketing hype when NiMH batteries came out, and since has been proven otherwise... they do have memory effect.
                          Last edited by Greebe; 4 July 2004, 04:03.
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

They all have a memory effect. The newer batteries will show it after a longer time.

If I recall correctly, 3M was working on some plastic-hybrid battery that didn't have a memory effect. Don't know what's the state of the project now...

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                              They all have a memory effect. The newer batteries will show it after a longer time.
                              I thought L-ion was still not supposed to have memory.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X