Marlon Brando is gone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlon Brando is gone...

Truly one of the great ones...may he rest in peace.

Press statement:

LOS ANGELES - Marlon Brando, who revolutionized American acting with his Method performances in “Streetcar Named Desire” and “On the Waterfront” and went on to create the iconic characterization of Don Vito Corleone in “The Godfather,” has died. He was 80.

Brando died at an undisclosed Los Angeles hospital Thursday, attorney David J. Seeley said Friday. The cause of death was being withheld, Seeley said, noting the actor “was a very private man.”

Brando, whose unpredictable behavior made him equally fascinating off the screen, was acclaimed the greatest actor of his generation, a two-time winner of the Academy Award who influenced some of the best actors of the generation that followed, among them Al Pacino, Robert De Niro and Jack Nicholson.

He was the unforgettable embodiment of the brutish Stanley Kowalski of “A Streetcar Named Desire,” the mixed up Terry Malloy of “On the Waterfront” (which won him his first Oscar) and the wily Corleone of “The Godfather.”

But his private life may best be defined by a line from “The Wild One,” in which Brando, playing a motorcycle gang leader, is asked what he’s rebelling against.

“Whattaya got?” was his famous reply.

His image was a studio’s nightmare. Millions of words were written about his weight, his many romances and three marriages, his tireless — and, for some, tiresome — support of the American Indian and other causes, his battles with film producers and directors, his refuge on a Tahitian isle.

His most famous act of rebellion was his refusal in 1973 to accept the best actor Oscar for “The Godfather.” Instead, he sent a woman who called herself Sasheen Littlefeather to read a diatribe about Hollywood’s treatment of Native Americans.

It was roundly booed.

Brando’s private life turned tragic years later with his son’s conviction for killing the boyfriend of his half sister, Cheyenne Brando, in 1990. Five years later, Cheyenne committed suicide, still depressed over the killing.

Still, the undying spotlight never made him conform.

“I am myself,” he once declared, “and if I have to hit my head against a brick wall to remain true to myself, I will do it.”
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Comment

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Comment

"They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Yeah

It's kind of strange, because over the last couple of weeks I've been watching some of those "never gotten around to see them yet" movies, among which were two movies with Marlon Brando, and I really noticed how good an actor he was.

One was the real old "by the waterfront", the other was Don JuanDeMarco, which is nice, because in that movie he plays with one of the true great actors of our time, Johnny Depp. Nice to be remembered that there are some great actors yet around

nevertheless a great loss

Comment

Work-Box:P4C3.0GHz; DFI LAN Party875Pro, GeiL Golden Dragon 512MB PC3500 DDRAM, ==>>PARHELIA 128+ZALMAN HEATPIPE MOD<<==, 2 x WD360 Raptor 36Gig RAID 0, MAXTOR 6Y080L0 80Gig, Plextor PX-W4824A, Toshiba SD-M1612, 2x BenQ FP767 17"TFT

MEDIA-BOX:P4C3,2GHz; ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, GeiL Golden Dragon 512MB PC4000 DDRAM, Radeon9800XT, 2xHitachi HDS722512-VLSA80; RAID0, Plextor PX-116A, PX-708A, Plextor Premium/T3B

Comment

Comment

That completes the Ray Charles - Ronald Reagan celebrity triade. He will be missed. He was a fantastic actor.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Damn...I knew I shoulda got into a dead pool somewhere for this year.
                        Reagan and Brando woulda been 2 of my picks....
                        Oh well.

Still sad to see another great one pass to the big stage in the sky....
                        RIP, Stanley Kowalski.
                        STELLAAAAAAAAAAA
                        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Great actor with some excellent flicks under his belt. Too bad his kids sucked wind.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                          X