Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What project to donate my cycles to? United MURC Cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What project to donate my cycles to? United MURC Cause?

I have decided to start using my otherwise wasted CPU cycles to do something productive again. I fired up DF since it's what I knew best. MURC seems to have quite a few projects going on, including:

DF
    CPDN
    Seti
    Genome

Are there more?

Anyway, while they all seem to be worthy of our computers, you have to admit that at least partly you're doing this to show some MURC pride, right?

Well, with all of the power that MURC has combined, united under one project we could seriously start climbing up again. AFAICS, most have stagnated in rank.

Any thoughts?

I've commited whatever resources I have to the DF project.
    RC Agent
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
    AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

CPDN is for computers that you are are that you are not going to have to format. In other words uninstalling/reinstalling the client or the machine will cause lost work. So, I have not used it. DF is really easy to set up as either a screensaver or service. Unless you feel like a bit of experimentation, I'd stay away from BOINC/Seti for now. They're ironing out all the issues that have cropped up since release. Genome, I never liked.

Edited for clarity.
      Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 2 July 2004, 19:42.

Comment

I run the UD (Grid) client. Nothing like doing cancer research in my free time.

Comment

Seti(BOINC) is giving out work units again!

The command line version of BOINC is still having some issues but it is still BETA. The Windows version seems to have no problems for me.

Comment

Genome@home is a non-issue, since this project terminated in April.

CPDN is doing beta-testing for BOINC, and is planning releasing this in August.
            Seti@home has BOINC-version that still is undergoing some server-optimizations, but since has got built-in caching this isn't so bad.
            Predictor@home is currently doing alpha-testing, so losing work here is sometimes happening, but still can be another BOINC-project getting work then seti is down.
            Hopefully folding@home will also soon make a BOINC-client...

Seti-"classic" is for the moment still running, haven't been keeping touch with THINK, and DF isn't my preferred project.

Comment

Working...
            X