Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cassini-Huygens in orbit around Saturn....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cassini-Huygens in orbit around Saturn....

Go here for all the pretty pictures and news....

Pictures:

News:

This is gonna be fun

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Looking forward to it. Thanks Doc.
    --Insert something here--

Comment

Wonder if we'll see anybody as we fly by?

BTW ... I helped build Vygr, the MJS probe that we sent up in the 70's that flew by Saturn along with Mars and Jupiter and eventually Uranus (though it wasn't included in the primary goals). I also helped build the '70s Viking Orbiter/Lander and I've got my signature sitting on Mars ... nobody's looked me up yet ...
      Last edited by xortam; 30 June 2004, 20:18.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Anybody else getting nrevous about another Christmas Day landing attempt?

Way to go Xortam Did you get credit in the StarTrek movie too?
        FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
          ... Way to go Xortam Did you get credit in the StarTrek movie too?
          No ... but I did smirk quite a bit in the theatre when I saw the film.

The signatures of the project team were scanned into a microdot which was placed onto the lander. I have no idea how many sigs were gathered but I'd guess quite a few.

BTW ... the first post-Saturn status meeting starts in 20 minutes (10h00 PST). Time to tune into the NASA channel ...
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

It was an interesting meeting. I was fascinated by the audio recording of the solar wind rushing around Saturn and the loud Sonic Bow (like a Sonic Boom) that apparently occur about seven times a day. I also was struck by what was described as "straw" in the belts as seen in the following photo ...

They have no explanation yet for that structure. I also was intrigued by the scalloped edges of the rings ...

We're in an exciting time of space exploration.

Comment

I'm in utter awe.
              amazing pics.
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

What no color? Or will those be coming later? I guess I have been spoiled by the MARS missions and their color images.
                Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Color takes some processing. Even most of the early Mars pics and all of those from the Voyagers had to get crunched.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                  X