PCI-X and PCI64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI-X and PCI64

are these two the same thing? never foried that far up the lime so i just want to check befor i go ahead and spend lots of $$$$ on a new system and end up with a compatibility problem...

basicly i am getting an ADS-PYRO PCI64 IEEE-1394 Card

Supermicro X5DAL-TG2 MBD

Will the ADS-Pyro Work ON THE PCI-X Slot?
    "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

All PCI-X is PCI-64 but not all PCI-64 is PCI-X. 64 bit PCI comes in 33MHz, 66MHz, and PCI-X (133MHz) flavors. PCI-X slots are supposed to be backward-compatible with the older 64 bit cards.

Comment

so will the ads-pyro card work on the supermicro PCI-X slot?
      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Probably, but to be certain, I would call the vendor.

Comment

kay thanx

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
            All PCI-X is PCI-64 but not all PCI-64 is PCI-X. 64 bit PCI comes in 33MHz, 66MHz, and PCI-X (133MHz) flavors. PCI-X slots are supposed to be backward-compatible with the older 64 bit cards.
            PCI-X 100 MHz is also possible...

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Generally PCI 64 cards will work in PCI-X slots, but they will throttle slot to 64/66MHz or whatever is the maximum.

You can also use regular 32-bit cards, as long as they're keyed as universal and work in 1.5V PCI slots, but then slot will run like normal PCI slot.

Wether only one slot or all will be throttled depends on board and chipset.

Which PCI64-bit card do you plan to get?

I plan to get PCI-64/66 SATA controller in the future.

Comment

PCI-X is already being scrapped for PCIe (Express). SO I would work more towards a PCIe system than a PCI-X system unless you need to build a server.

You could slap one of these on a PCIe system and still get fantastic results.

Jammrock
                Last edited by Jammrock; 30 June 2004, 05:51.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The upcoming server mainboards (dual Xeon, Intel 7525) from SuperMicro have both PCI-X and PCI-Express:

I'm not sure what the performance difference is between e.g. a 133 MHz, 64-bit PCI-X card and a higher spec PCI-Express card...

I actually have this card in my system:

(engineering sample)

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Spiral: If you're considering Xeons, definitely wait for:

Nocona supporting boards (Iwill DH800 supports them)

You might also wait for PCI Express boards, which are being released now and will be in retail channel soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                      PCI-X is already being scrapped for PCIe (Express). SO I would work more towards a PCIe system than a PCI-X system unless you need to build a server.

You could slap one of these on a PCIe system and still get fantastic results.

Jammrock
                      PCI-X is not being scrapped. It's still going to be in servers for quite some time. It was never meant to show up in consumer PCs.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                        PCI-X is not being scrapped. It's still going to be in servers for quite some time. It was never meant to show up in consumer PCs.
                        Yes and no. PCIe is replacing the current PCI-X standard for non-server and high-end workstation needs, which as you said were never meant to reach consumer hands in the first place. The two new PCI-X (266, 533) standards will end up being faster than PCIe for the server market, yes.

But for Spiral's need I would still say go PCIe. He would have more/better/cheaper PCIe options to upgrade his system in the future vs. the current PCI-X equipment.

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Is 66mhz 32bit pci classed as pCI-X eg some parhelias and some raid cards (promise..etc)

Comment

Nope. AFAIK PCI-X is strictly 64-bit. Though some PCI-X cards are backwards compatible with 32-bit slots.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

i would love to wait for PCI-e.. but this system is not for me its for a production house and thy need it in 15 days..... ... told them to wait... but no they need it now,,, ah well

Comment

Working...
                              X