Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A really good thing and a lesser good thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A really good thing and a lesser good thing.

My mother just got back from John Hopkin's Hospital in Baltimore. She donated a kidney to a 17 year old boy. Both are doing well. THe doctors say it was a textbook surgery.

I took in my Dreamcast since I have not used it in years to help him keep his sanity while there. I'll let him keep it if he wants it. His father has two Atari machines. and they're gonna give me one. I think I am going to make out on the trade.

Great news !
    Your mother is a very special person, you probably know it better than any of us
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

that sounds great. Its very nice of you to consider emotional support too

Comment

That's a marvelous thing you guys are doing.
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Thursday was not fun. Up 'til 1AM the night before. Alarm goes off at 4:30AM. I'm up first? Open her bedroom door and turn on the hall light. Leave aroun 5:50AM. Get to hospital. Now I understand why they want to put cameras in Baltimore. My cousin and grandmother show up. We end up in the waiting room with the recipient's family which is not supposed to happen for pressure reasons. It was cool though. Was extremely tired due to about 3.5 hours of sleep. Slept only about five minutes due to being unbelievably worried on the inside. Was at the hospital for 13 hours including a few in her room after she was out of recovery. Before the surgery, I thought she was crazy. I still think she is but it was definitely worth it. I can't imagine getting cut open but then again I have never had any emotional reason for it. Had to take tylenol due to a stress headache. His family was very nice. We passed stories back and forth which kept us mostly calm except for the automatic head jerk reaction whenever I or someone from their group would answer one of the phones. We were very close to the pediatric pre-op or maybe it was intensive care. It was depressing watching the various kids get wheeled by so I had to sit facing the other direction. I'm looking forward to a relaxing work week with a visit from a friend at the end of the week. Work stress is much less traumatic.

She's very mobile though of course any kind of lifting is a bad thing for now. She should be driving in about three weeks if we allow her. I'd rather drive her to work for an extra week. The recipient should be out by Wednesday.

Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 27 June 2004, 17:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer

that sounds great. Its very nice of you to consider emotional support too
            I was not happy beforehand. Our family was mislead by my mother about a few things which got us irritated but it was because my mother was following all the rules to the letter. Seeing the other family calmed me down. I hold grudges/bad feeling the longest in my family.

He's already walking around. He's urine is back to a normal color. He now has three and one can have up to four due to surgeries like this.

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
              He's already walking around. He's urine is back to a normal color. He now has three and one can have up to four due to surgeries like this.
              Three and four what?

Your mom is a saint for doing this.. not one in a thousand would have such a giving heart. How old is she, btw? Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

Comment

Excellent! It's nice to hear about good things like this. Tell you rMom she is an awesome person!
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

This is great news for sure, I wish your mother and the boy a speedy recovery and a great life.

Regards,
                  Elie

Comment

That is indeed a truly marvellous this she has done.
                    I'm ignorant of these things...what are the long term effects for her?
                    FT.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                      Three and four what?

Your mom is a saint for doing this.. not one in a thousand would have such a giving heart. How old is she, btw? Please keep us updated on how she is doing.
                      Assuming that the person who recieved the transplant has 2 fully functional kidneys that were working under capacity, I would say that the three and four comment means he's got 3 kidneys right now (because of your mothers giving) and could have as many as four ?

/could also be way off...
                      Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                      MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                      Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                      Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                        Three and four what?

Yup. Kidneys.

Comment

Wow why does he need 4 kindeys? the orginal set that messed up?
                          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

that is a good thing you and your mother have done... if only there where more people like that in the world...
                            "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                              Wow why does he need 4 kindeys? the orginal set that messed up?
                              Doctors had said that he would not make it past 1 year old. His kidneys have been deteriorating since he was born but there was no need for a transplant yet.

One does not even need two. One needs enough to safely handle waste levels in the blood. They can put in up to four assuming the previous ones aren't infected or detrimental to the body. Even 10% functioning is better than 0% in the kidneys he already has. It gives the recipient more leeway.

Comment

Working...
                              X