New Type of Identity Theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Type of Identity Theft

Apparently some web sites unknowingly host spyware. KBB was among them.

Also, some sites require registration to read.

Had read the article already on slashdot though, very glad I switched to Firefox after having to format and reinstall after a severe and unexplained malware infestation suddendly cropped up on our system (I'm betting it got in via one of those exploits.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
      Also, some sites require registration to read.
      This link may be of some use:
      Access and share logins for websites that require you to register in order to view content.

Or, prefilled in

Since I heard of this problem earlier today, I have stopped using IE altogether. Now if only I could uninstall it
      On the plus side it might encourage people to drop Microsoft's decrepit and under-maintained browser.
      Last edited by Rob(QG); 25 June 2004, 14:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob(QG)
        On the plus side it might encourage people to drop Microsoft's decrepit and under-maintained browser.
        for what? an open source but under-maintained browser? as most of the open source development is slow as molasse, MS is a speed champ there...

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
          for what? an open source but under-maintained browser? as most of the open source development is slow as molasse, MS is a speed champ there...
          which under-maintained browser is that? young Mr Kurt?
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
            IE 6 came out ages ago, and the differences between it and 5 and 5.5 are not huge. It's nowhere near standards compliant, has security flaws you can drive a bus through, is missing modern features, etc. Meanwhile the Mozilla (and presumably Opera) engine has improved leaps and bounds.

Comment

The browser wars were between IE4 and Netscape 4. When IE5 came out and Netscape 5 didn't and IE was the best browser then, the browser war ended.

Since then MS have spent little time and resources on browser developement, which resulted in Mozilla and Opera surpasing them in some/most areas.

This shows, how coming up with good and polished browser takes years.

Disabling acess to IE (Win2k SP4 or XP SP1) is a bad thingâ„¢, since you can't update Windows without it.

Setting alternative browser (Mozilla flavours, Opera) of choice as default and having view in IE extension for nonstandard sites works fine, IE doesn't bitch about not being default browser.

@ Kurt - right now the alternative browsers are getting more effort than MS browser and it shows. By no means can you call the alternatives slow and undermaintained.
              Last edited by UtwigMU; 25 June 2004, 22:10.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                Disabling acess to IE (Win2k SP4 or XP SP1) is a bad thingâ„¢, since you can't update Windows without it.
                Not true. You can still download the updates off of the corporate support site.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I was just doing this today and IE is also a must for Update Catalog.

Comment

Good point - I'd forgotten about that

Comment

IE tooltip

IE tooltip
                      Attached Files
                      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

LOL

Comment

LOL, I think SP2 will take care of most of those things in IE

Cheers,
                          Elie

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                            which under-maintained browser is that? young Mr Kurt?
                            Pick one.

Comment

no, you made a broad statement, I was asking you to tell us which browsers you ment
                              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                              X