Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dial-up Internet users are being hit by a new scam !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial-up Internet users are being hit by a new scam !

Dial-up Internet users are being hit by a new scam in which their log-on connections are diverted through premium-rate telephone numbers, socking them with hefty phone bills.

Rip-offs involving premium rate numbers are nothing new: particularly the trick of inviting the public to ring in for what turn out to be non-existent prizes.

But in the latest twist, fraudsters are using viruses to change the dial-up number supplied by the user's Internet service provider (ISP) to a premium number, security experts say.

Britain's Independent Committee for the Supervision of Standards of Telephone Information Services (ICSTIS) said it has received "a significant rise" in complaints related to the scam and has urged the National Hi-Tech Crime Squad to investigate.

Experts suspect the numbers are being changed by a type of computer "trojan," a malicious piece of software that installs itself on an unwitting computer user's PC.

Trojans, a favorite tool for Internet fraudsters, are increasingly being used to take over users' machines.

"Trojan horses secrete themselves on computers and are able to change the Internet settings so that dial-up connections always call premium-rate numbers rather than the regular ISP codes," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for British-based security firm Sophos Plc.

The ICSTIS has being cracking down on premium rate scams of late.

For example, it fined a group of companies earlier this year 450,000 pounds for sending people unsolicited text messages, often dangling a prize, with a premium-rate call-back number.

"If we think they are using these numbers for fraudulent purposes we will not hesitate to pass it onto police," an ICSTIS spokesman said.

Of the latest scam, he added: "We've seen bills ranging from 15 pounds to 1,500 pounds."

The ICSTIS advises people who suspect they may have been victims to log complaints on its Web site, http:/www.icstis.org.

In addition to the legal crackdown, a number of effective technological stop-gaps have been introduced such as premium number blockers.

As a result, experts say, premium dial-up scams tend to be short-lived, before the operators go underground and come up with a new, related con.

isn't this much like the so-called 'pr0n-dialers' ?

Comment

yeah, that is an old scam..but still a nasty one.

Comment

am i affected by this?
        i have norton anti virus
        spybot
        adware

Comment

If you have DSL and no modem/isdn attached, you cannot be affected, regardless of how many dialers are on your system.

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

(am on 56K modem btw)

Comment

I've got a few calls about that, and working for an ISP there's nothing we can do, the customers however are pissed when they find out it's not OUR problem.
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

You know as well as I do, as far as the customer is concerned, EVERYTHING is tech supports problem!
                "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Working...
                X