Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest woodworking project....

Scenario:

My wife has a craft room with one whole wall taken up by tool stands populated by a jigsaw, band saw, small drill press, sander etc. etc.

Her request:

Free up some space somehow.

My solution:

A single tool stand with interchangable platforms, each of which holds a tool. The tool platforms mount on one side with free space on the other side for plastic storage containers geared to each containing drill indexes, saw blades, sanding disks & belts etc.

The tool platforms are held down by simple turn-clamps rotating on 1/4" (.635 cm) bolts. Later on I'll add a power outlet/switch to the stand itself.

The construction is 3/4" (1.9 cm) birch plywood with maple trim and locks. The platforms are 3/4" pine 10" x 22" (24.5 x 55.88 cm).

The tool panels are stored on a steel storage rack next to the tool stand at a level convenient for lifting them in/out. The other shelves hold the plastic accessory containers, wood finishes etc. etc.

Finished product:

(excuse the mess behind the tool....I'm re-organizing my shop )

Drill press mounted;

Drill press out;

Band saw in with drill press on work side;

Total space saved:

About 8' (2.44 m) of wall space.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 June 2004, 21:04.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

That's an interesting idea. I'm about to construct a work bench in my garage, hinged to the wall so it can fold down when not in use. It needs to take a table saw, a band saw, a drill press and a grinder/linisher. As there is only about 6-8 feet available for it all, I'm going to have to do something simillar.
    FT.

Comment

PS does your wife use the tools for something, or are you encroaching on her space?
      FT.

Comment

Feel free to bring that project by my place.
        --Insert something here--

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
          PS does your wife use the tools for something, or are you encroaching on her space?
          When she's not teaching she's a craft-a-holic....bigtime.

The tools are mainly for doll houses, intarsia ("painting" pictures with different colored woods like purpleheart etc.) and small woodcraft projects like clocks, bird houses etc.

My main woodworking is in cabinetry, toys and home improvement. I also make jigs for projects I intend on building several times.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 June 2004, 12:22.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Cool! I guess she has a scroll-saw somewhere in there too.

My next tools are a biscuit jointer (before I start my next furniture project - dowelling on the last chest was very awkward) and ideally a bench jointer.
            FT.

Comment

"Jigsaw" is a loosely defined term used here in the midwest that can mean a hand or table scrolling saw or a non-scrolling electric hand saw. She has all three.

I use a Bosch biscuit jointer and just love it. That SOB gets a lot of use as do the jointer (4"), router/shaper (nice for making raised panel doors and heavy routing) and planer (12").

What's also handy is to get a biscuit bit for your router. I use this to cut slots into which I insert a piece of hardwood that ends up being a near full lengh "biscuit" attached with a polyurethane glue. Nice for making panels, but you have to take into account that it expands quite a bit. This drives it far into the wood, thus the strong joint, but as such it also requires tight clamping.

Polyurethane glue is also great for for things that will go outdoors. I've even heard of people making tableware assembled with polyurethane glue that can survive a dishwasher

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 June 2004, 09:13.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X