First X-child?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First X-child?

A young boy in Germany has been found to have a mutation that could end up giving him almost superhuman strength. His mutation is a DNA segment that blocks myostatin, a chemical that limits muscle development.

His mother and father were both found to have one copy of the normal gene and one copy of the mutated gene. Both contributed their mutant genes to their child.

At age 4 he can hold a 7 lb (3.175 kg) weight in each hand with his arms extended horizontal. His muscles are twice the size as his contemporaries and he has half their body fat.

7 years ago researchers at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore created "super mice" by turning off the gene that directs cells to produce myostatin. These mice had almost twice the musculature of "normal" mice and were much more active. Their muscle develpment extended into old age while the normal mice aged as one would expect.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 June 2004, 15:00.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

interesting stuff. Although, that poor child will probably be prodded by scientists his whole life with no normal childhood.
    I'm a genie in a bottle BABY, gotta rub ME the right way!!!

Comment

Won't his muscles rip the ligaments and tendons from the bones? And if not break the bones themselves? One of the nastiest sights I have seen is an over-muscled kick-boxer/martial arts type chap literally rip his own arms apart with his own strength. The pain in his face was horrible to witness.
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Myostatin is meant to control our muscles - not so we dont hurt ourselfes, but so as to not develop more muscle than needed.

Its a matter of energetics.

Today energetics doesnt really matter - actually I guess a lot of fat people would have liked to have a higher basic energy requirement!!

But back in the days where people could actually starve to death, not having more muscles than was needed was a good thing.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Link, with pic...

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.
          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

He can hold seven-pound weights with arms extended, something many adults cannot do.
            Wow, they must have had some real weaklings around when they checked that theory.

Comment

Weenies indeed

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Think little toothpick sized women. They "workout" with 5 lb weights. I have a nephew whose legs were about that size (from article pic) when he was 7 months old. We never tested what he could lift though... he was HUGE!

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I have a niece who's got huge legs also, but she's just plain ole fat and tubby...

btw, she's only 18 months
                  Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                  MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                  Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                  Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

I clearly remember pictures of myostatin deficient mice and cattle from my last genetics or cell biology lectures... I don't want to be him, that's for sure. *shudder* after all, every muscle is affected, even those in the face...

[edit] found it - (c) belongs to those guys mentioned on the pic.

mfg
                    wulfman
                    Last edited by Wulfman; 24 June 2004, 16:03.
                    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                    "Lobsters?"
                    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Working...
                    X