Clear All

• A Word to the Wise

Never
    EVER
    run chkdisk.

EVER.

why?

Comment

deleting the whole ntfs directory because it found it corrupt is why.

Comment

Now doing a raw recovery, which could have been a normal recovery where i could have actually gotten the whole files with file names, but now?

NEVER run chkdisk!

Comment

Should that not be a message to the dumb? The wise would surely know already.

Hope you can sort it out.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Yeah go ahead and tell me I'm ****ing stupid.

chkdisk comes on and does this automatically on bootup. I come back to find it deleting everything. Screw this.

Comment

I've never heard of such a thing.

is it set to delete invalid thingies?

Comment

I have run chkdisk more times than I can count, and never had it do that!
                "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

In extension to this, should we also NEVER run Scandisk and Defrag?
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Which defragmenter do you use, if not the built-in one? A "long" time ago I tried Diskeeper and decided it wasn't very good after it fried an NTFS partition.

Comment

^^^

Comment

been using dk8 and oo6 for a while now, there was some weirdness once when I was using my old KT7 but nothing remotely like that since I went to a SiS based mobo. The two happily coexist on my present machine. Hey Pit, erm KvH (sorry, the problem sounded like a typical TP episode) why is chkdsk running automatically? It never does this on my machine except sometimes when I press the reset button accidentally
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Originally posted by DentyCracker
                          been using dk8 and oo6 for a while now, there was some weirdness once when I was using my old KT7 but nothing remotely like that since I went to a SiS based mobo. The two happily coexist on my present machine. Hey Pit, erm KvH (sorry, the problem sounded like a typical TP episode) why is chkdsk running automatically? It never does this on my machine except sometimes when I press the reset button accidentally
                          What do you mean a typical TP episode. I just buy something new and it doesn't work.

Chkdsk is crap Microsoft should use something better.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Chkdsk is crap Microsoft should use something better.
                            I think that applies to virtually all MS software, no need to pick on chkdsk personally.

Comment

@DentyCracker: it's part of the boot process. If there seems to be a problem with your partition, chkdsk runs automatically.

Happened to me once that it deleted the whole tree. I didn't actually loose anything, just ran some of the gazillion recovery programs I have and installed a fresh copy of Windows on a new HDD.

It turned out the "crashed" HDD had a defective cluster. Low level format and chugging along happily the next day. It took me a day to do everything, but that's life

The *really* stupid thing in all this, and that's valid for scandisk too, is that you don't have *anything* to say about whether chkdsk should (yes) proceed will deleting your FAT/index or (noooooo) just stick to being happy to report that there's a problem and let you maybe find a better way to recover/repair it...

Comment

Working...
                              X