Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Classic Car Problem

From another web site:

Okay.....I know that I posted for the problems with my A/C....but this is a bigger problem, and this problem I have been having eversince I got the car.
    My boyfriend bought the car in August of 2003. It was sort of driving weird.....REally pulling to one side. So we thought that it would just be the tire balance. Well I guess he had someone look at it, and they figures it has something to do with the Rack and Pinion. So the idiots that his friends are.....they decided to TRY and fix it. I got him a brand new rack and pinion....and they went and put the rack and pinion on exactly like the old one was....which was not the right way. So it has gotten a new rack and pinion, yet still had problems.
    One person said that it could be my tyrod ends (spelled right?) .....I dont know.
    Basically when your on the freeway and you go around a curve....the tires seem to want to go the opposite direction of the way you turn the wheel. It also will not make U turns. I never make it all the way, leaving me to always make 3 point turns unstead. I haad to get two new tires for the front of the car, because you were beginning to see the tire threads sticking out. The car had 4 new tires put on when he bought it. Then I had to replace the front ones. Now.....the back tires still look really new....the left front one is looking alright.....then the right front one is getting worn out already.
    I know that I blabbed on.....but does anyone have any idea what it could be that is causing my car to not be able to make U-turns.....my tire to wear out so easily....and my tires deciding to turn one way when I turn the wheel the other way? Could it be my tyrod ends? whatever those are? I know this is a dangerous thing to have happen while I am driving.....but after almost a year, I sort of got used to the steering problem....I just dont want my tires to go flying off someday....or something worse.....
    Please help!!!!

Could simply be out of alignment.
    Could be bad TIE ROD ends.
    Could be bad ball joints.
    Could be bad a-arm bushings.
    Could be any part of the front suspension.
    Could be a bent frame/unibody/front cradle.

Not nearly enough info included to make any sort of definitive diagnosis.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Maybe the tie rods, or control arm. But yeah, could be a ton of things.

But if they knocked the steering that bad, they must have hit the curb doing 40 or something.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I like the part about steering in the wrong direction...

Comment

Really sounds like it need some camber adjustments, could be something else.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

To diagnose would have to be up on a rack... some simple measurements and checking a few things would be able to answer in short order

I use the term 'few' loosely

Have Her (?) take it to a qualified mechanic and leave the shade tree boys at home
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

My boyfriend bought the car in August of 2003. It was sort of driving weird.....REally pulling to one side
              Stupid dimwits..................

How the hell did this thing pass roadworthy?

Deserves to be in an accident..........
              Lawrence

Comment

It probably was - might need the old bit-of-string-accross-the-diagonals trick.... measure each and check they are the same - if not its a problem. could be the steering still - the original might not have been set up correctly.
                plus all the suspension comments above
                Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

It probably was
                  I actually meant the new owner of this POS should be in an accident for failing to use his common sense and parting with his cash.
                  Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                  X