Disable PDeskNet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable PDeskNet question

PowerDest.PDeskNet.exe occupies 18.284K memory. Is it necessary? If not, how can I prevent it to be loaded automatically?

Powerdesk releases the memory if other programs need it.When playing games memory usage goes down to ~1.5mb (maybe evel less?)
    ASUS P5B-E ;2GB G.Skill DDR2 Ram; C2D6420;lub 3D X1950pro ;SoundBlaster X-Fi;WinXP

Comment

Mine occupies 5,420 kb.

Comment

PowerDest.PDeskNet.exe still occupies a lot of virtual memory that is paged to the harddrive. So you will get a performance hit because of increased harddrive activity. PDeskNet is so big because it's programmed on the bloated Microsoft NET platform, and you can't get rid of it without removing functionality.

You can prevent it from starting in the Windows Registry. Just search for "PDeskNet" and you will find the string that starts if when booting.

Twilight

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight
          PowerDest.PDeskNet.exe still occupies a lot of virtual memory that is paged to the harddrive. So you will get a performance hit because of increased harddrive activity.

Twilight
          No, you won't. Hard drive activity only happens when that memory is accessed, and it generally isn't.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

So will there beany negative effects on the system if I try to stop it to be loaded at start up?

Comment

Yes,because almost all functions pdesk provides you will be disabled.
              Btw. there is a driver availible that works without .net installed.
              But it lacks most of pdesk functions.
              ASUS P5B-E ;2GB G.Skill DDR2 Ram; C2D6420;lub 3D X1950pro ;SoundBlaster X-Fi;WinXP

Comment

Working...
              X