Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New iRiver media playing device

This thing looks badass:

...all in a package measuring a relatively modest 13.9 x 8.4 x 3.1 cm, and weighing 277 g.

The number of supported formats is extensive, ranging from MP3 through WMA, ASF, Ogg Vorbis, JPEG, BMP, AVI, MP4, DivX 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, XviD, MPEG4 SP, Advanced SP and, finally, MPEG1.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Very cool. Getting a jump on the market before the Sony PSP and Microsoft WMP portables hit. Wonder what the price tag will be?

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Considering the prices of other such devices from e.g. Archos I think I'll have to say it will be well outside my orice range

Too bad. This would be the perfect thing to keep me entertained on long flights.
      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

No mpeg2??

That sucks
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yeah, MPEG2 would be nice, but remember that MPEG2 is designed for high-quality high-bitrate use, so it was probably considered to take too much space (think of putting FLAC files in a flash MP3-type player). For a device like this with a little screen, you'd be better off re-encoding your MPEG2 material to XViD or whatever.
          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

since it's linux based, you know people will hack it and add support for others codecs and apps.

ps - http://www.iriveramerica.com/contest/
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
            X