Dead MBR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead MBR

I switched my computer on last night and got the dreaded NTLDR not found message.

I am using an A7N8X-E Deluxe with 2x120 SATA 'cuda drives.

I checked through the BIOS and nothing had changed in the boot order. The SATA utility showed that all the drives were operating normally.

i tried to repair the MBR but windows setup wouldn't mount the volume despite being given the driver.

I installed a fresh copy of XP onto an IDE disk checked the SATA drives within windows.. both were fine.

I reluctently backed up all of my data and went to do a fresh install of XP (I like to spring clean on a fairly regular basis).

I went to the setup and when it asked for a installation destination it wouldn't let me install on the HD as it could see a 8MB 'disk' first. In otherwords, it was as if I wanted to install the OS on my D:

I know that windows creates a 8MB partition during the setup, but it is normally at the end of the disk.

I booted back into windows (via the IDE disk) to remove the partition but XP wouldn't see it.

I resorted to a low level format of the disk via the SATA utility. It was the only way i coul dthink of getting rid of it.

But it is still there:

8MB Disk on disk [MBR]
    C: Partition1 [unknown] 8MB (7MB free)

114471 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on si3112r [MBR]
    Unpartitioned space 114471 MB
    What is going on?????

There is no other disk attached to my computer.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

OMFG! As i wrote the message it suddenly dawned on me that my 8MB XBOX memory card was attached to the USB port!

I have removed it and rebooted.. if this fixes the problem then i will kick myself.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I am such an idiot.

I have spent all day trying to fix my computer.....

I have trashed my HD all because the BIOS saw my XBOX memory card as a USB harddrive.

i am gonna go and have a drink....

Feel free to flame

Comment

/me hands Paddy a long island ice tea. Cheers mate!

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I feel like such an idiot!

Comment

Sounds like you had an ID 10 T problem.

- Steve

Comment

There are days like that

Comment

Wow.. maybe you shoulda had the drink first and relaxed before you tried to fix anything. Heads up for next time something gets snafu-ed.

Comment

well, at least you caught it in time... i was going to suggest power surging the drivers in an attempt to make everything work better...
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Look at the bright side.. at least you didn't shoot it with a 12 gauge shotgun.

Comment

We've all been there at one time or another
                      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

well, its an uppdated version of the old "forgot the floppy in the drive" story
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Reminds me of the time I installed loads of different drivers for my soundcard, changed PCI slots, reinstalled DirectX, reinstalled windows... All because I couldn't get a sound from my microphone...
                          Should've checked the ON/OFF switch on the mic first, duh...

Comment

Oh man, that sucks! I feel for you Paddy.

I don't imbibe so I'm going to go have a bottle of water in your honour.
                            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I think if the disk was any size other than 8MB I would have realised.....

Comment

Working...
                              X