Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP telephones...what do you think?

Hi Ya Folks,
    Have you heard anything about this? Will it be the same quality as internet calls with a computer, soundcard and microphone.
    Just wondering what this is about, and if it's any good.
    Thanks

There are many types of IP telephones and VoIP (Voice over IP) services. If you want a good IP telephone style service check out Skype. They use their own compression scheme and it sounds fantastic without sucking up huge amounts of bandwidth. It actually sounds better than regular telephones.

If you want to use your regular telephone, but call over the internet you have two options. One you can hook up with a VoIP provider like Packet8 (who I use). You plug the VoIP box into your router, phone into the VoIP box and you're off. You dial out and recieve calls like a regular phone, both incoming and outgoing.

The other option is to get a USB phone. You can use services like Skype with phones like this one from CyberPhoneK and the Siemens Gigaset M34 USB. They connect to your computer via USB, and then you use them to call other Skype users.

There are a ton of similar services all over the place. Skype just happens to be one of my favorite.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Sasq has one
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

how about internetwork oprabiliity and compatibility..? can you make cals to users from other ISPs?
        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralDragon
          how about internetwork oprabiliity and compatibility..?
          I'm sure some people won't be able to use based on their workplace security policies and all that jazz but otherwise shouldn't be a problem
          can you make cals to users from other ISPs?
          yep, have chatted with several members here around the globe
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I use Vonage myself. Been pretty happy with it but I have to call my cable company since they have my upload capped and I some times get crappy connections with the phone because of it.
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

We are seriously looking a wireless voip at work, I have seen alcatels offering and will see ayaya next week.
              Watching some one lifting up their lap top and talking into it was quire funny.
              To do this properly is not cheap the hand sets will cost £600 each.
              breezer
              Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Aye I have one, works quite well, but services here are very different to OS.
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

We have a Cisco IP phone system at work, and I'll tell you I hate the thing. Depending on the network conditions, we get lag and/or echo on conference calls, and the dialing features are sucky.

Comment

Hmmmm I was just looking into Packet8 and noticed one thing: it does not support usage of 911. I am not sure about other VoIP providers.

This is a deal breaker for me, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by breezer
                      We are seriously looking a wireless voip at work, I have seen alcatels offering and will see ayaya next week.
                      Watching some one lifting up their lap top and talking into it was quire funny.
                      To do this properly is not cheap the hand sets will cost £600 each.
                      breezer
                      At work we use ones from a company called SpectraLink.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I read this a couple of days ago....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3791319.stm

funny how it comes around

for our non UK friends, BT is the UKs premier telco
                        Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Originally posted by stcynic
                          Hmmmm I was just looking into Packet8 and noticed one thing: it does not support usage of 911. I am not sure about other VoIP providers.

This is a deal breaker for me, unfortunately.
                          Most of them currently don't. They are beginning to implement 911 service, but the infrastructure is not in yet.

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The really fun thing is say you're trying to call somebody, so we have to dial 9 for an outside line, then 1 for longdistance and the areacode. If you accidently hit the 1 twice (or forget to dial the 0 for international), or take too long to dial after pressing 9+1, it dials 911 and the police have to show up no matter what.

Comment

Working...
                            X