Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Underclock' G400Max

Hello,

I've saved my old G400Max since the TV output still to this date is superior to much everyting else out there.

In my "gaming" box it's long since been replaced because of it's 3D (in)capabilities, but now I think I have found a new use for it.

I've got another box that runs xp mce using a nvidia for tv out. It'd like to put the G400 in there instead. However, the G400Max has a fan on it don't want to hear (in a livingroom-situation every dB counts), and the nvidia is not using a fan today.

It's a small mini-atx style box that gets quite hot, so simply removing the fan & replacing the heatsink with a bigger one would probably cause the G400Max to cook. Has anyone tried lowering the speed to reduce heat, and if so, what are the results?
    Athlon 800@1GHz/MSI 6167/256mb/7200rpm UD66/SB128/G400Max/Win98/Win2k/RH6.2/Be5

use MGATweak. Should work fine to lower clocks

Comment

Yeo check the possibilities using MGATweak.. when You dins clocks that are good for You then reprogramm g400 with PINS... then Your card will always be underclocked
      A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

Ok, will try this.

Anyone tried removing the fan? Interrested about how much it has to be underclocked to compensate. I realise I have to try that out myself, but an estimate would be nice if anyone has tried this before.
        Athlon 800@1GHz/MSI 6167/256mb/7200rpm UD66/SB128/G400Max/Win98/Win2k/RH6.2/Be5

Comment

The Max's HS is smaller than the regular G400's, so don't be too surprised if you have to go below G400 clocks.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The standard passive G400 heatsink is quite a bit larger than the MAX HS/F. You would need to underclock it below OEM speeds if you plan to keep that HS, and just unplug the fan.
            There are a number of 3rd party heatsinks that will fit on G400 that will allow you to keep higher clockings.
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I got G400 OEM (SH).... i clocked it by PINS like G400 MAX... no cooler on it Work just fine
              A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

G400 without a cooler yeh right
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by Nicram
                  I got G400 OEM (SH).... i clocked it by PINS like G400 MAX... no cooler on it Work just fine
                  how is that relevant to clocking a MAX at vanilla speed without its fan running?

btw this thread belongs in matrox hardware
                  Last edited by dZeus; 11 June 2004, 02:21.

Comment

My G400Max worked fine at normal speeds with the fan unplugged.

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
                      My G400Max worked fine at normal speeds with the fan unplugged.
                      Same here. I only use it for 2D and DVDMax, no 3D stuff.
                      Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                      MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                      Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                      Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Working...
                      X