Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD announces the 'Sempron' budget chip...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD announces the 'Sempron' budget chip...

From Pc PRO

AMD has announced that the replacement for its ageing Duron range is going to be named the Sempron. The company says that it will start shipping the new range, aimed at the budget-conscious user, in the second half of this year.

Although AMD is keeping quiet about what the design and features of the Sempron are likely to be, it is almost certainly going to be a 32-bit processor. Reports suggest that it will be available in Socket A, Socket 754 and the recently announced Socket 939 versions with dual channel memory support. Finally, as is the fashion today, it is likely to support the NX (no execute) instruction to guard against buffer overflows and other software design flaws which can be exploited by virus authors.
    FT.

If it's available for Socket A, I hope it will be MP-capable. Should be a nice performance boost, and NX support would be nice too.

OTOH, my board (Tiger MP) is limited to dual 1900+ for power supply reasons, so maybe I wouldn't be able to upgrade anyway I'm sure it's the only dual-AMD board with this limitation.
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

I doubt it will be MP compatible. The whole point of the chip is a low-budget, lower performance processor.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
      X