windows 2003 SBS backup software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 2003 SBS backup software

Anyone know much about windows 2003 SBS backup software?.

The inbuilt backup software seems okay, except it cannot backup directly to DVD.

And the only thing we have that can do directly to DVD is nero, except it has problems dealing with system files etc, and files in use....and it its scheduling stuff just does not work.

So we have been a 2 stage backup, ntbackup to a backup file, and then nero backup to DVD-r.

Anyone know how to get an automated direct to DVD (so the receptionst just changes the disk every day?)

Or even suggest some good backup software that can deal with OS and MS SQL files that are in use, and can do direct to DVD automaticaly?

i believe it should be possible to set up a script that calls ntbackup to make the file, and then calls Nero to burn it to DVD-R.

I know the cygwin tools used to have a command line cd burning app bundled with it, (as well as the utilities to create the ISO file system). and I believe it is possible to do that using nero as well, although I am not sure how.

you then create a scheduled task to run the script at whatever intervals are there.

my ex wound up creating a similar solution for a business she was working for. not really sure about the particulars of it, i just know she was able to come up with a solution that didn't require purchasing software - although it was just burning CD-RW's, I believe, and not DVD's.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

as an update, nero has the tools to burn a disk (CD/DVD) from the command line. it is called nerocmd.exe, and is located in the nero directory.

I do not know if it can create the ISO image in the process though.

the documentation for it can be found here.
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Cool, I'll check out the nerocmd.exe stuff...that may hit the spot

Comment

Working...
        X