w00t for external enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• w00t for external enclosure

Had a 10 gig laptop HD laying around and finally realized I could buy a 2.5" USB enclosure for it ($18 Bytecc @ newegg). Man, that thing is mighty useful. Not a big HD, but still holds a bunch of stuff I need to carry around.

Anyone know if there are some negatives to this setup?
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

THere shouldn't be any problems. I use an older 40GB drive for just the same reasons. All my non-CD image backups easilly fit. It's a lot easier to install a service pack from a usb 2.0 drive than the internet.

Comment

The only thing I haven't liked about this setup is that the power supply is almost always a proprietary thing - if it dies, you're screwed.

I've been looking for the "perfect" enclosure - one that uses a standard IEC connector for the power entry, and has an internal power supply.

And is inexpensive, and has FireWire 400 (800 is a plus), and USB 2.0.

And isn't too big.

And looks cool.

I'll just keep looking.

- Steve

Comment

you know,.... we should all strat our own HW company and make our own stuff al la cart......
        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

The Bytecc one I got uses a two pronged USB thing where one of the USBs is for power, but yeah if that cable gets messed up I doubt I'd be able to find a replacement. They have a more expensive version that has firewire. It's also for a laptop drive so it is very small - pretty much slightly longer and barely wider than the drive itself. It looks nice and comes with a nifty carrying wallet (looks like a planner cover).
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I just picked up a 60 GB 7200 RPM 10 ms 2.5" laptop HDD for my little USB 2.0 box today. I now can carry 60 GB in my shirt pocket and just hook it up to any USB 2.0 port and gobble up all the data from machines I visit. I'm going to take it over to my Dad's house (he has a Mac) and have him dump the entire lifelong family photo collection onto this little pocket storage device and bring it home to the new repository. My dad has scanned in all the old 35mm slides and prints covering over 50 years. I want to make sure I collect all the family content as a backup as well as having a central repository. I'm also going to set up a FTP server so my relatives can dump all their content unto my server for placement into the repository. I'm trying to collect as much family history as I can while its still available.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

smart move
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X