Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Flash card security

AFAIK, usb memory sticks use a FAT.

I ASSume that when you delete a file from it, it deletes it just like it would any other FAT system, and just screw up the file entry in the FAT.

Are there any small freeware programs that can be run periodically to write zeros to unused space?

Tons of them. I think even cygwin has a delete utility.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Attention: Flash memory has fairly limited write cycles (~1000000, IIRC). This is usually circumvented by the flash controller writing to different positions in the memory, and replacing failing cells from a hidden reserve.

This is especially important when you think about using flash memory as swap, running programs on it, or doing anything else actively on it. Flash is a storage medium, not a work medium like HDs or RAM.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Eraser
        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

They use FAT32...there is almost no security at all on them...there are several file recovery programs out there that can reconstruct even a formatted Flashcard/USB Drive fairly easily with nearly 100% reliability.

I have been making good money using a $30.00 recovery tool to fix corrupted CF and SD Cards from people's Digital cameras.

So if you really want to kill the data on one you will have to use something like Eraser or Flashkiller.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Ooh, link to said program?

Comment

Euhm, perhaps this is my ignorance, but is there anything preventing one to format a flash-card in NTFS ?

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I have formatted a ZIP drive in NTFS.

Comment

I don't think there is anything preventing formats, it's just you lose a lot of the portability of the device.

I'd like to see that file recovery program too. At work we have EZ Recovery Pro, but I think it has about a 25% or less success rate. There's a lot of students that keep their essays on floppy and everyday there is always someone who has it go corrupt.
                  Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                  Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                  X