Annoying Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying Error

Event Viewer shows these errors as happeing for a while but since I stuck another 1GB in my machine yesterday (four 512MB Dimms) it is being a complete b*tch.

This is all event viewer has to say for itself

I have been having problem with Outlook Express, Norton 2003, CuteftpPro 2.0, IE, Dreamweaver, PSP and Fireworks. Quitting out for no reason or quiting when I start them. DWMX quits without even telling me, just vanishes. All very strange as I hardly ever have an issue with my rig.

I have searched the web for the above but not actually found anything.

My virus definitions are up to date and I have run a scan today, everything on my rig and my network is fine.

Did you run memtest86+?

Comment

Yeah... sounds like fishy memory to me also...

Comment

Going to try running that tonight, created a bootable CD but didn't realise how long the tests would take, going to start them again later, when I go to bed.

Comment

108 errors on test 6, whatever that is.

Comment

Originally posted by dbdg
            108 errors on test 6, whatever that is.
            That means credit card out too replace faulty memory.

How many sticks do you have ???
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Verify that they're running at the right timings and voltages and whatnot (I'm still using SDRAM so all those wierd DDR settings are alien to me. ) Pull all the sticks out and try them one at a time to see if it's just one that'd gone bad.

Comment

Only just got the new sticks from Dabs.com, don't plan on having to spend anymore, Dabs better replace them.

Have 4 * PC3200 CL3 512MB sticks. Only got the two original sticks in at the moment, going to test them tonight, two new sticks tomorrow and then the two new sticks individually, might know which is the dodgy one in a couple of days.

Timing are all correct I believe as I just let my board auto detect.

Comment

Originally posted by dbdg
                  Only just got the new sticks from Dabs.com, don't plan on having to spend anymore, Dabs better replace them.

Have 4 * PC3200 CL3 512MB sticks. Only got the two original sticks in at the moment, going to test them tonight, two new sticks tomorrow and then the two new sticks individually, might know which is the dodgy one in a couple of days.

Timing are all correct I believe as I just let my board auto detect.
                  Don't bet on the board doing the right thing.

Even the top tier memory manufacturers (Kingston, Corsair, Mushkin, Micron ...) don't always get the SPD information right.

You'll probably have to slow things down by 1 clock on a couple of settings (sorry - don't remember which are the important ones at the moment) because you have 4 DIMMs. Usually, you only get optimal performance from 1 or 2 modules, and need slower timing for 3 or 4.

- Steve

Comment

How do I found out what the timings should be.

Got 4 * Crucial CL3 184Dimm PC3200 NP 512MB.

Just checked my Bios is set to 3-8-3-3

I'm testing the first of the new sticks tonight to see if it is bad.

I would have less the 4 DIMM's if I had the cash but my board prefers them to be installed in pairs, wonder how it will work when I upgrade to six modules, not that I want more then 2GB at the moment.
                    Last edited by dbdg; 6 June 2004, 17:37.

Comment

I'd check on the web - possibly by asking tech support - to find out the correct timings for your board.

3-8-3-3 sounds like it should be about the slowest it can be, but if you can make it slower, and there are no errors when testing in singles or pairs, then you may want to try that.

Also, there are often memory refresh drive strength settings - try setting these to the highest available (my old Acer AK73Pro-A has 10mA and 16mA settings).

- Steve

Comment

It's likely one is duff. It's also possible that they just don't like your motherboard. Check the website too see if they've been tested with the mB.

I've seen a few complaints about Dabs and there return services by the way.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well one down, three to go

Probably discover that its one of my old sticks that is knackered so I doubt I will be able to return it anyway. Dabs are so good on the delivery side though, I ordered this memory last Thursday at 6pm and had it the next day.
                          Last edited by dbdg; 7 June 2004, 01:10.

Comment

Tested the other three and so far no errors, tested the slots as well, seems ok at the moment, I'll run another test tonight to see if the errors come up again.

Comment

Which version of memtest are you using. Earlier versions you certainly had to disable usb support in the bios according to Corsair as it can conflict with the test.

I've just had one stick fail.
                              At least I had a spare.

The machine rebooted once on Saturday. Lost the display once in Colin Mcrae rally and I thought shit I'm not suffering another one of the ATI blank screens of death. The next time it rebooted. No errors in the event log but test six of memtest went crazy. Luckily it was the 2nd stick I took out. Still took an hour to find the git.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X