Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shock, horror... Microsoft Nabs Patent on Double-Clicking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock, horror... Microsoft Nabs Patent on Double-Clicking!

Microsoft has been granted a U.S. patent on using short, long or double clicks on the same button to launch different applications—though only on "limited resource computing devices" such as PDAs or mobile phones.

Now, U.S. companies that use such a variety of clicks on one button to launch separate software functions will have to change their products, pay licensing fees to Microsoft or give Microsoft access to their intellectual property in return.

You must be kidding....

No Way there cant be previous art on that one.

Sometimes the stupidity of the american legal system is simply boogling.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

It doesn't matter how much prior art there is, until it's challenged in court. If MS started to demand royalties, it would be a very brave person with VERY deep pockets to challenge it through the whole chain of courts. It could cost millions, with never any guarantee of winning. One of my patents was flagrantly breached by a large US company. When my patent attorney wrote to them to point out the fact, the reply was "Take us to court to have the damages assessed." The company knew we didn't have the means to do so.

I don't know whether you know, but just to engage a US patent attorney for a breach case, as either plaintiff or defendant, you have to lay down, up front, half-a-million to cover extensive search, justice fees, attorney's fees etc., no matter how strong your case.

The only advantage of obtaining a patent to the small guy is that it does establish, legally, prior art, so that the big guy cannot patent it later and claim royalties. On many occasions, I filed a claim for a patent and paid the initial fees, but haven't paid any subsequent fees. This is sufficient to establish prior art, and my advance in time has given me a commercial advantage over te inevitable copier (about 2 years, generally).

However, the big guy who has a patent knows it's not worthwhile suing the small guy for infringement or breach royalties, if he refuses to pay voluntarily, because it would probably drive him into bankruptcy. It would therefore cost the big guy a packet for zilch returns.

IOW patents are hardly worth the paper they are printed on, in many cases. I know from long experience.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Patents generally needs a lot of work.

All patent cases should be handled by the state solely.

There should be NO advantage given those with fantazillion $.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

If you have enough $$$ you can do ANYTHING you want, absolutely anything. Everyone has a price, at least this day in age.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

*cough* O.J. *cough*
            --Insert something here--

Comment

I haven't read this particular article about it, but 3 weeks ago when it was first mentioned, it is more specific to double clicking on PDAs.

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

patent this, mofo's.
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                X