A nimble system for capture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A nimble system for capture

I order to minimize interference from unneeded tasks and processes during capture, I'd like to set up my PC for just that purpose. I know that certain processes have to run, an others can be turned off safely. I've done that in the past in Win98, but did not write it down and forgot ;(

Does anybody know which processes need to run?

This would be valuable for both Win98SE and Win2000.

Thanks.

------------------
    Harald
    Harald

"Nimble system"??

That brings on a vision of my tower doing the South Side Shuffle across the workbench

You could try using the Start/Run dialog to run MSConfig. It's Startup tab lets you limit what background tasks run at startup.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 24 January 2001).]

Comment

Doc,

there is more to it than that. E.g., in Win2000, even if I have no task in the task list, and nothing in the Startup folder, I still have over 30 (!) processes listed as running. In Win98 it is similar. The question is, which of these processes/tasks can be safely turned off w/o bringing the system down and still making it possible to run a capture program safely.

I know that in Win98 ther are three tasks that have to remain, I just forgot which.
      I don't know at all what's needed to keep Win2000 alive and healthy.

------------------
      Harald
      Harald

Comment

Use task manager to see what these processes are consuming. You're pretty much wasting your time worrying about this on w2k unless you've installed advanced server and are actually running services such as IIS.

On my PIII-500 with w2k pro, anything that has capture drivers that don't crash has captured fine.

--wally.

Comment

Do I understand the question? eg. can I remove poproxy
          rexproxy
          explorer
          stimon
          rnaapp
          hgcctl95
          systray
          mgactrl etc. ?
          what HAS to be left running?
          I don't know the answer, just trying to clarify the question.I think systray has to run.
          anyone know?
          smitty

Comment

I found again what HAS to run under Win98: only

Explorer
            Systray

Everything else can be closed via the task manager.

If one wants to do an even better job, System Information | Tools | System Configuration conatins several tabs dealing with the startup environment. Be deselecting what's being loaded at startup (NOT the same as in the Programs | Startup folder), one can create a really "lean machine". Disadvantage: requires reboot to make that happen. And resetting everything + rebooting to get the regular environment back.

Now, with respect to Win2000, I am at a loss. I have IIS and some other services running that I sure negatively affect the capture performance. But which of the 30+ processes can be turned off safely eludes me.

------------------
            Harald
            Harald

Comment

Harald,

You can go into msconfig and uncheck all of those startup apps that you want. Instead of going through a reboot and rechecking all of those each time, try adding a user. I have one for video and 1 for internet use. No passwords, but I found the path to each app that I wanted to start up in internet mode (ie messenger service, anti-virus and such) and put a shortcut to it in the startup folder for my user internet account.

***Make sure that you specify different startup menus when configuring the users.***

It is a whole lot faster to log off and log in as a different user than to recheck all of those apps and then reboot each time. It is also a lot cleaner, meaning that even if I ctrl-alt-del and close an app, it seems to hold onto the resources sometimes.
              WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Sciascia,

Thanks
                I never had a need to use this "multiple user" feature, but it seems that using it for that purpose is a great idea. It probably can be expanded to selectively activate/deactivate hardware too, if that makes sense.

------------------
                Harald
                Harald

Comment

Has anyone tried 98lite on their systems?

http://www.98lite.com/software.htm

This is a program that strips Win 98 down to the bare bones so it runs lean and mean, eg strips IE & other stuff off the OS. I know people running high end digital audio recording software love it for use on a dedicated system, but I wonder if anyone has tried it for video, and if they saw a difference to their system?

Graham

Comment

I imagine it would make more of a difference on a medium end or marginal system than on a high end one. Just speculation....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I been testing out 98lite's sleek option
                      that borrows some win95 shell files and found
                      that my SL2W8 PII300@450 is much more responsive! I've yet to NLE yet, but AUDIO
                      apps are whistling dixie

I just intstalled a 3rd ata HDrive on an ultra66 and found that with 2 ata cdr's
                      the P2B CMOS doesn't reconize them all consisntantly

I'm speculating about the dynamics of musical chairing the drives n channels
                      and/or the power connections on my 300sparklePS

anyone been here b4?

Comment

Working...
                      X