Speaking of phones and PDAs ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of phones and PDAs ...

... I want to find one portable device that is a Bluetooth (Logitech Bluetooth compatible) PDA/mobile (cell phone)/digicam. Is there one device that will do all this? How about two?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

The Sony/Ericcson Z600 or the Motorola v500 & v600.

Depends what you mean by PDA though. My Motorola v300 will sync to outlook.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

My Treo 600 will do all of that minus the blutooth. But really, plugging it in isn't a big issue.

Comment

Yeah it is. Bluetooth headsets are sweet. And if you have a car with bluetooth, all you have to do is get in your car and your phone will automatically use the hands-free.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
          The Sony/Ericcson Z600 or the Motorola v500 & v600.

Depends what you mean by PDA though. My Motorola v300 will sync to outlook.
          Thanks ... I'll check them out. Do you know if they're Logitech Bluetooth compatible? Logitech only guarantees compatibility with their own implementation. The IR on the Sony/Ericcson is a nice little extra but I probably would just use the greater range of Bluetooth unless I run into limitations with the K/M interface on the diNovo. I mainly just want to use Bluetooth in the home (I don't get out much ). The portable device would be used for capturing content outside the home and importing it into my home system as well as general use about the homestead. I just was informed of FLASH-OFDM technology which offers superior bandwidth but I'll have to wait for the next computer and further deployment of those products and services.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I forgot to mention that I also need digital voice recording capability in this PDA/mobile/digicam. Are we still talking about one device that can do all this (hopefully)? Does anyone know about Logitech's Bluetooth implementation and how that might be incompatible with other Bluetooth devices?

I'd love to go with an ODFM solution once they become available. It looks like it will be the winner in high bandwidth wireless access over the next 5-10 years.

Comment

How much voice? My v300 can record voice notes to myself, I'm not sure of how long (the v300 only has 5MB of RAM free, v500 & v600 have more).

Comment

How much voice? My v300 can record voice notes to myself, ...
                That's all I want to use it for ... self-dictation w/o having to scribe notes and I wouldn't need much memory since I'll export it each day. So can I surmise that the Motorola V3-600 will support all my needs but is questionable AFA Logitech Bluetooth compatibility?! Are they the only company that has such a device? I'll check out their site.

Comment

The v600 and the Sony Z600 are the only ones I can think of that offer the features you're after.

I would have said Treo, but I don't think any of them have bluetooth yet.

Comment

Oops ... I fogot one thing ... GPS. I guess I'll just be buying a lightweight GPS for backpacking anyway so I won't bother integrating it into the PDA.

Comment

Just get a GPS with bluetooth

Comment

Just get a GPS with bluetooth
                        Why do I need Bluetooth on a GPS? Its mostly for backpacking where Bluetooth is useless. My dentist uses his PDA/GPS to track his maximum speed when hitting the gas. I could see using it on rare occasion in the car but again, I don't know where Bluetooth GPS would be handy for me.

Comment

Well, if you've got a bluetooth PDA, then you can combine them easily for navigation and travel planning. You can find nearby restaurants and stuff, it all depends on how much you plan on travelling w/ gear.

Comment

Well, if you've got a bluetooth PDA, then you can combine them easily for navigation and travel planning. You can find nearby restaurants and stuff, it all depends on how much you plan on traveling w/ gear.
                            I haven't used GPS and you're right ... loading maps and such would be easier through Bluetooth. I rarely drive these days (~3K miles/year) but I want some of the functionality like voice recording for when I'm out running errands while the rest is meant for access and control while around the homestead. I wonder when they'll put out a Bluetooth model with all my requirements ... must be really close.

Comment

I think the solution you're looking for will probably come in the form of the Treo 600 + a Bluetooth adapter in the SD slot. Such adapters exist, but no drivers for the Treo yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X