• Show
Clear All

• Heatpipe CPU cooler for desktops

I found this toady:

A true silent heatpipe CPU cooler for the desktop. Pretty cool

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Gosh how big and heavy it is! It could rip the CPU out if you not carefull.
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

I wonder how much airflow it requires... in other words: if you need another casefan or crack up the speed of a casefan to cool this thing, then I don't really see the advantage in using it over a HS with low rpm fan on top of it plus a casefan at low rpm.

If it does cool sufficiently at very little airflow... then it'll rock!

Comment

Already have the heatpiped Thermalright SP97. Very efficient cooler.

Comment

From the link:

Use Fanless103 with a 12cm cooling fan to have ideal case airflow
          FT.

Comment

yes, because a 12 cm fan can move a lot of air without using high RPM's, so it's quiet. Thus if you only had 1 12 cm fan (plus a silent PSU) in the case, you would have a very silent system, with enough airflow to keep everything very cool.

Jammrock

Comment

it doesn't state at how many cfm it will cool 'enough' though.

Assuming that the reason that they state you have to use a 12cm fan because it's quieter may be a bit too optimistic.
              Maybe it's because the cooler need a shitload of airflow that a 8cm fan can't provide at all

I'm all for ultra-low cfm cooling solutions, but I'll believe it when I see it

Comment

Shuttle SFF PCs cool high wattage CPU's just fine with half the heatpipes and a low RPM 8 cm fan behind the radiator. I don't see why this design couldn't do even better with an even lower RPM 12 cm fan, double the heatpipes and 2 radiators, one of which is significantly larger than the Shuttle heatpipe solution.

Jammrock

Comment

TS Heatronics also has a fanless heatpipe cooler: <A HREF="http://www.scythe-usa.com/cooler/20031002-164002.html">NCU-1000 Heatlane Zen</A>.

SilentPCReview has a review <A HREF="http://www.silentpcreview.com/article118-page1.html">here</A>.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                    Shuttle SFF PCs cool high wattage CPU's just fine with half the heatpipes and a low RPM 8 cm fan behind the radiator. I don't see why this design couldn't do even better with an even lower RPM 12 cm fan, double the heatpipes and 2 radiators, one of which is significantly larger than the Shuttle heatpipe solution.

Jammrock
                    well for starters, the people on SPCR forums critize the look of the Thermalright design that it has too small fins and too tightly packed together, which means you have to use higher airflow to break the airpocket resistance between the fins. I'm very curious for a A to B comparison to the heatlane Zen by a SPCR member

Comment

Also, airflow through a bigger case isn't ducted as well as in an XPC.

/me wants a completely fanless computer.

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

get a 'futureclient'; they're made in your country

Comment

Give me money and I'll even do a review for you

AZ
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by az
                              Also, airflow through a bigger case isn't ducted as well as in an XPC.

/me wants a completely fanless computer.

AZ
                              You are correct. But then you also have lower convection flow.
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X