Crappy Symantec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy Symantec

Well we've seen crappy web sites now crappy software.

Villian of the peice Symantec and their support site.

Made a mistake of trying too upgrade Norton Internet Security 2003 to version 2004.

Normally I try and remove all traces of Nortons beforehand, god knows why I didn't this time. The computer also had system works installed.

The upgrade failed of course with the setup wizard dying.

Uninstalled it and tried again same problem.

Went in and deleted the folders in question and decided too uninstall Norton System works as well.

Still no go.

Off to the web site and followed the uninstall rountine and the removal tool. PLus the tool to remove all traces from the registry.
    The tool will fail if you used System Works too install Norton Anti Virus. had the £$%^ can I remember how I installed the damn viurs software. Can't they right a proper tool.

Discovered a few extra locations of symantec shared hiding on the hard drive.

Re-installed Windows scripting.

Re-installed still didn't work. No error messages the setup wizard just disappeared when launched. Of course you got to run this to put in the activation code.

Looked on Symantec website couldn't find anything but then it's very hard to hunt for errors without any messages.

Uninstalled and removed all traces again.

Put version 2003 back on. Anti virus gave an error message this time. Symantec said run liveupdate.

This I had to do about five times before all the patches would take. For some reason live update downloads all updates even if a set they're not all compatable with each other. Well done lads.

Hurray that works.

Now I want Ghost 2003 back on.

Run the system works installer. Please insert disk one.

Nothing on Symantecs web site.

Run Ghost installer directly rather than going through the auto run setup.

Admin has removed your rights to carry out this operation.

Ah ha this is on the web site.

Run regedit and remove all instances of Ghost and ghost will he removed from your system. Remove these files and directories.

Cleaned out the registry and found some of the files. Took around ten minutes with the F3 and delete.

Ran the program again and setup bombs out with service already exists.

Yes thats on the website.

Download this utiltity and this will remove the entry from the registry.

Hold on your last page said deleting the other entries would remove ghost I guess they missed one.

Had too clean the registry remove files from hard rive again.

Ran the installer again and bingo it worked.

However you get the impression that Symantec don't really know what files they're installing.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

http://www.sysinternals.com/index.shtml is your friend, specificly regmon and filemon.

Comment

Working...
    X