Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSF and GPU question for P750

Hello all,

I just received my new P750 and upon initial inspection I noticed that the HSF is not completely flush against the GPU. In the region under the center of the HSF there is contact with the GPU, but this is only about 20-30% of the surface area between them. In the other area there is a gap going from 0 mm to about 1/2 mm at the outer edge.

Now the reason for this might be the fact that the HSF is not centered exactly above the GPU (by design), so the connection of the HSF to the card is tilting it, since in one part there is no GPU underneath the HSF to support it. I am an engineer and if this connection was designed this way, it seems strange and I find it hard to believe that the core of the GPU is not in the center of the processor, but on the top where is GPU is making contact with the HSF. Also, it could be that the HSF is almost not needed for operation of this card, making the connection not very important, but then they could have just installed the heath sink flush against the GPU and not needed the fan, like P650.

I searched the web, but have found nothing regarding this, even for other cards by other manufacturers. I installed the card and in seems to be working fine, but how do I know if it is not overheating or at least shortening its life span? I also find it strange that nobody has ever received a card with an improperly installed HSF.

Any suggestion or comments would be greatly appreciated. Have you noticed anything like this on your cards?

Thank you in advance,
    Miro
    Last edited by miro_n; 1 June 2004, 07:14.

Hi,

I had exacly the problem with my P750. I noticed that just before I installed the card.
    It was no problem for me, because I planned to change the HSF with a zalman Heatpipe-Cooler. I think you should "press" the HSF on the P750-Chip. The HSF will then "stay" on the chip because of the "glue" between the HSF and the Chip.

DC

(My P750 is running fine with a HS double size of the original one without fan.)

Comment

Matrox use a thermal wax between the sink and the chip that once heated to operating temps melts and bonds the two together. So what you see isn't a problem.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
      X