Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socket 939 Review - FX53 & 3800+ at Beyond3D

DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Very nice. Anyone know where I can find a comparison between an Opertron and an Athlon 64 FX?
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Opertron? I only know of the Opteron...(on Beyond3D there's the same typo I know ;-))

I wouldn't expect any difference since it's nearly the same chip (both possess a dualchannel memory controller & 1MB cache). Even the dual controller makes <5% difference.

The main difference should be the smp-ability of the opteron (if that matters for you of course).

Cheers, Hannes

Comment

tech report did a comparison, i believe. yes, yes they did.

Well, you've seen the benchmark results, and there's not much I can add. The Athlon 64 FX-53 was already brutally fast, and the new 939-pin version is a tad bit faster still. The Athlon 64 3800+ is darn near as fast as the FX-53, despite having half the L2 cache. If you have the means, I highly suggest picking one up.
        link.
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Opertron? Sounds like what Technoid would name it.

Apparently, you can already buy the A64s: (And a cheaper, well less expensive, 3500+)

I don't see any motherboards though.

Comment

DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

thanks
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I can't wait to upgrade. I want the mobo reviews to settle before I do though.

Atleast newegg is selling the chips for cheaper than I thought. Hopefully they will go down soon.
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Sounds like Jammy's been hanging out with Technoid
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X