Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computex: PCI-Ex video cards and motherboards show up (and BTX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computex: PCI-Ex video cards and motherboards show up (and BTX)

From Anandtech:
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Ugh... screw BTX.

At least the PCI express boards are keeping a couple pci33 slots.

Comment

What's wrong with BTX? I haven't formed much of an opinion either way, but I can see how ATX is showing its age.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
        Ugh... screw BTX.

At least the PCI express boards are keeping a couple pci33 slots.

What's wrong with BTX ?
        Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
        MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
        Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
        Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

need new case and psu... i guess...

Comment

For an average user who doesn't care whats inside the computer and never wants to open it, BTX is fine.

For someone who actually wants flexibility, it is a nightmare. You'r elimited by this 'thermal module' crap, which means power users and overclockers won't be able to stick in exotic heatsinks due to space limitation around the processor socket and lack of mounting holes unless motherboard manufacturers "stretch" beyond the layout spec. The exhaust from the processer cooling is directed over the rest of the components in the chasses, particularly over the graphics card and part of the memory. I suspect it will also be noiser due to the location of the cpu fan intake duct in the system. The design also lacks a dedicated space for a front intake fan to cool the periphal cards and/or disk drives.

Comment

thank you for informing me, I had no idea that BTX brought such limitations with it.
              Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
              MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
              Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
              Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

meh, exotic heatsinks will still survive. they always have and always will. in fact, it looks like manufacturers will have less issues due to manufacturing inconsistancies because of those thermal zones (and the fact it limits component height for a certain amount of space around the processor socket).

as far as blowing air from the cpu over the ram and graphics card.... by defining the fact you have a fan there and it sucks air from all of those components, it will make a difference compared to a normal ATX tower when you only have the PSU fan installed and just kind of sucking whatever ambiant air is around, not specifically off of the video card, memory or processor.

for an enthusiast, enclosure manufacturers will work around the deficencies with air intakes.

BTX is not aimed at the enthusiast market. it is aimed at the normal, every day home user. it is aimed at the budget market, which still composes a majority of PC sales today. it makes improvements to ATX in these areas because these are areas that ATX falls short when you try to cram what is currently a mid range computer into a box that is supposed to be quiet and economical.

power requirements and heat dissipation for low and mid range components have gone up since the days when ATX was designed. BTX is an evolution that reflects upon this.

the enthusiast and workstation markets will use engineering that has been adapted to those markets.
                "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Going to cost a fortune too upgrade.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

is it just me, or does this mobo have a heatpipe to cool the power section:

Jammrock
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yup it does. lol. Hopefully by the time I go to upgrade my motherboard again in a couple years they'll have BTX cases and stuff worked out for power users, or still have ATX available so I can just pop it in my case.

It'll still be interesting what kind of funky heatsink/heatpipe Intel comes up with for BTX to keep their little Silicon Sun cool

Comment

Working...
                      X